Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
SEMEN ANALYSIS
An_246935 posted:
WELL IM A LITTLE CONFUSED CAUSE MY GYNO GAVE MY HUSBAND A PRESCRIPTION TO BE REFERED SO HE COULD HAVE A SEMEN ANALYSIS BECAUSE HE DOES NOT HAVE INSURANCE WELL THE REPRODUCTIVE GROUP CAN'T DISCUSS THE RESULTS BECUASE WE WERE REFERRED AND MY GYNOCOLOGIST IS NOT EDUCATED IN THAT AREA! SO WE PAID OUT OF POCKET FOR A TEST WE CANNOT UNDERSTAND. MY HUSBANDS VOLUME IS .3 HIS CONCENTRATION IS 25.2 AND HIS TOTAL COUNT IS 7.6 IN MOTILTIY IT STATES HE HAS A 50% MOTILITY BUT TOTAL MOTILE COUNT IS 3.8 IN MORPHOLOGY HE IS 5% NORMAL AND 95% ABNORMAL IN HIS GRADE ACTIVITY HE HAS 32% PROGRESSIVE WHILE 18% IS NON PROGRESSIVE HIS LIQUIFICATION IS 40 MINUTES AND HIS COLOR IS PERAL WHITE HIS VISCOSITY IS HEAVY HIS PH IS 8.0 AND NORMAL AMORPHOUS. PLEASE PLEAS SOMEONE EDUCATE US ON WHAT THESE RESULTS MEAN.?

amyaalc responded:
Getting the results is the first step and sounds like you have that informations and now he will need to seek the attention of an urology to discuss low numbers. It is true that these results would best be interpreted by an expert in the area of male factor infertility like an urologist. An Ob should always refer out if there are abnormal parameters flagged.

Normal parameters = 2.0 ml or higher volume, 15 mil/ml or high concentrations, 40% or higher motility, morphology kruger strict criteria normal is 4% normal or higher.

His numbers = 0.3 ml x 25.2 mil/ml = 7.6 mil total count x 50% = 3.8 million motile (you would like to see this up around 15 million motile or higher to know he has normal fertility levels or normal sperm production).

So looks like the only problem is that low volume which caused the overall count and total motile drop. Did he feel like the sample was fully collected? A 2nd test would provide more information to see if he does in fact have a problem with low volume or just caused by the stress of getting a sample into a tiny specimen container for some stranger at the lab to look and access...

He's producing good sperm but the overall numbers may improve if he has a better collection. Never fully rely on only 1 test for diagnosis of a problem. Like watching 1 minute of a 2 hour movie and trying to figure out the plot.

I would see if your doctor would give a 2nd referral for another test and see where things stand. Make sure he has 2-3 days of no ejaculations prior to the lab test and stays well hydrated to help improve volume.

Amy Perkins, MS, TS
Laboratory Supervisor
Arizona Andrology Laboratory & Cryobank
International Center for Vasectomy Reversal

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had my sperm analysis after I stopped using the Testosterone for 2 month. And my sperm count shoot to 0.60 !!!! before was 12.000000 . My urologis...More

Helpful Tips

Muscle Building Motivation
who those people are that she can count on I okay say goodbye my she's cast doubt heard if I don't speak to her on no yeah she's in my ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.