Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Semen Analysis Interpretation
FAITH26 posted:
My hudband and I have been trying to concieve for over 3 years. Attached are his SA results. Please provide hep on interpreting. Thank you

ANALYSIS TIME, SEMEN
11:42

SEMEN VOLUME
>1.9
mL
SPERMATOZOA, NORMAL %
>29
%
WBC COUNT, SEMEN
<=1
<=1

SPERM COUNT, SEMEN
>19
M/mL
SPERMATOZOA, IMMOTILE %

%
SPERMATOZOA, NONPROGRESSIVELY MOTILE %, SEM FLD

%
SPERM SLOW PROGRESSIVE %, SEMEN

%
SPERM RAPID PROGRESSIVE %, SEMEN

%
SPERM, PROGRESSIVELY MOTILE, TOTAL, SEMEN
>59
MILL/SPEC

amyaalc responded:
Thanks for the full report and I see a couple alarming numbers.

Low sperm count and progressive motility would be the two top concerns. He has low testicular output, sperm production, and low sperm quality.

These need to be addressed by an Urologist to see if his hormones are out of balance causing testicular failure, if he has genetic causes for low fertility, lifestyle exposures such as chemicals medications drugs or heat that could be a cause, or a varicocele needing repair to help boost production and motility.

Pregnancy is possible but your chances are low based on these numbers and likely the reason you have not achieved pregnancy over the past 3 years.

The focus needs to be on improving the male factor fertility.

Amy Perkins, MS, TS
Laboratory Supervisor
Arizona Andrology Laboratory & Cryobank
International Center for Vasectomy Reversal

FAITH26 replied to amyaalc's response:
Thank you for the response Amy!!! THe Dr ordered my husband to re-take the analysis as well as some testosteron bloodwork. The analysis came back the same and the results for the bloodwork are as follows, not sure what they mean:

TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL
FSH
LH

We have an appointment to meet with the Dr. to discuss the results and the next plan of action if any. Per the nurse, the next step is to see the Urologist as you suggested. We are praying and trusting God that all will work out and we will be able to concieve a child as this is super emotional. Thanks again!

amyaalc replied to FAITH26's response:
Hormone levels look okay so working with the urologist to see what is next is the right step. Keep us posted.

Ask the Urologist if Clomid, clomiphene citrate, is an option for boosting his production.

Amy

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had my sperm analysis after I stopped using the Testosterone for 2 month. And my sperm count shoot to 0.60 !!!! before was 12.000000 . My urologis...More

Helpful Tips

Mycoplasma infection can lead to male infertility
Mycoplasma, a sexually transmitted disease, not only can be affected via sexual contact, but also by sharing towel or poll with STD ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.