Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Extremely Low Motility Questions
Mightyslash posted:
Hey all,

My wife and I have been TTC for about a year and a half at this point. I recently took the initiative and had an SA done. When I was contacted by my Urologist with the results I was told my number is good (70 mil in 1.1 ml) and my morphology was fine but my motility was DRASTICALLY lower than it should be (at 2%). I will say in my defense I had performance anxiety (it definitely wasn't the consistency or amount it normally is), I had to get a sample twice in very quick succession (second time using spit for lubricant which was a dumb decision on my part) and just to make sure its out there I had taken a hot shower within 10 minutes of trying for a sample. How much would that factor in the resulting motility?

I was also told there was no medicine that could help improve motility and I have been looking at ways to work on it. The one that sticks out to me is Fertilaid for Men and Motility Boost. I am sure you all know what it is but just in case they seem like super vitamins aim
ed at increasing production and motility. Do they work? I heard at least Fertilad was formulated by Dr. Amos Grunebaum.

Any advice to get this number up would be great. I'd really rather not have to do IVF if at all possible due to the money obviously.

Mightyslash responded:
Oh and of note:

It has been established I also have several epididymal cysts in my left epididymis. I believe theses have been causing me pain for the past 2 years (my urologist says I just have pain and they aren't big enough)

and my SA results were:

Count: 70 mil in 1.1ml
morphology:41%
Motility: 1.9%
Progressive Motil: .4%
Nonprogressive motil: 1.5%

amyaalc responded:
The saliva could be the cause of poor motility is the ejaculate came into contact with the saliva.

A number of things can cause low motility and heat is one you mentioned. See the sperm healthy lifestyle guidelines below.

Making lifestyle changes and starting the FertilAid and Motility Boost is the best place to start. Give it 2-3 months and retest to see if that motility is improving. Always important to test 2-3 times for an accurate analysis of your fertility.

During collection use only a sperm safe lubricant called Pre-Seed and make sure to avoid getting much into the sample because even though it's marketed as safe it can alter that motility slightly.

I think the good news is you have normal sperm production so some minor changes are likely to help boost that sperm quality.

There is also a chance that the sample sat too long before the lab tested or other handling error of the sample. Recommend using a fertility lab for testing over hospital lab or general labs that process blood and urine samples a majority of the time.

Please keep us posted on your next test.

Amy Perkins, MS, TS (ABB)
Laboratory Supervisor
Arizona Andrology Laboratory & Cryobank
International Center for Vasectomy Reversal

amyaalc replied to Mightyslash's response:
Sperm-Healthy Lifestyle

1. No heat to the scrotum and groin areas. Heat causes damage to the sperm cells so stay away from hot tubs, saunas, Jacuzzis or soaking in baths above body temperature.
2. Stay well hydrated. Drink plenty of fluids. Caffeine is okay in moderation.
3. Eat a well balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Red meat and fish should be consumed regularly.
4. Regular ejaculations, every 24-48 hours, to keep the system revved up.
5. Avoid testosterone replacements and all male hormone/androgen supplements. These can drastically reduce or even zero-out sperm counts.
6. Absolutely no tobacco in any form. Tobacco use causes DNA damage to sperm cells that leads to lower pregnancy rates, increased incidence of miscarriage and birth defects. This holds true for marijuana and other recreational drugs.
7. Alcohol in moderation. Excess drinking is associated with significant sperm toxicity.
8. Maintain a healthy BMI level. Excess fat tissue results in increased estrogen and lowered testosterone.
9. Avoid cells phones in pants pockets or belt clip attachments. Do not place laptop, tablets or other computer devices directly on lap.

When it comes to supplements more does not always equal better so please follow the dosages below. If you are not a fan of taking all these individually we would recommend purchasing a male fertility blend vitamin such as FertilAid for Men, Fertility Blend for Men, Conception XR or other blended multivitamins containing a majority of these ingredients such as GNC's B-Complex 75 Complete (as low as $9.59/month) with the addition of the missing items. Fertility Boost for Men can also be added to help improve sperm motility and forward progression.

Always consult your primary care provider before starting any supplements.

Vitamin/Anti-oxidant Dosage Benefits

B Complex Once daily DNA
Vitamin C 500 mg daily Count, motility and morphology
Vitamin D 400 IU daily Improves sperm quality
Vitamin E 400 IU daily Motility, viability and morphology
Coenzyme Q10 200 mg daily Motility and forward progression
Folic Acid 1 mg daily Count and DNA
Acetyl L-carnitine 1 g daily Motility and forward progression
L-carnitine 1 g daily Motility and forward progression
Lycopene 10 mg daily Count and motility
Selenium 200 3BCg daily Motility, viability and morphology
Zinc 50 mg daily Count and DNA
Fish oil capsules 2-3 daily Count, motility and morphology

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello All. My husband and I have been TTC baby # 2 since July 2010 so we are 17 months of trying. I will say it is much easier having my son now. He i...More

Helpful Tips

Prostatitis also can be a cause of infertility
[a name="OLE_LINK1" title="Link: undefined">It is known to all that the low quality of sperm is the major cause of infertility, but is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.