Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Poor sperm morphology and IUI
ofruktbar posted:
My husband and I have been ttc for 14 months, no protection for 18 months with no luck. I have had all the tests done, including 3 different blood tests, HSG and a set of 3 ultrasounds to check for follicles and ovulation. I passed everything with flying colors. My husband has had 1 SA which came back all normal except for poor morphology. His morphology was at 12%. I'm not sure which standard was used, but the doctor said that 30% would be considered normal.
I had him change his diet and started him on FertilAid. It's been about 2 months since he started on this new diet. He used to eat a very low carb diet with very little fruits and veggies. I am making him eat lots of fruits and veggies. He was also a big consumer of diet sodas. He would drink scary amounts of diet sodas every day (approx 5 cans sometimes more). I made him quit that as well. We are both active and slender/normal weight, don't smoke, rarely drink (I don't drink at all, he has 1 or 2 beers every few months).
My OBGYN told us that our next step (if I'm not pregnant this month), would be a 2nd SA and then IUI. My main question is, is IUI effective for poor morphology? I have read conflicting things about IUI's effectiveness, especially when it comes to morphology.
Any advice at all or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

amyaalc responded:
Remember that it can take 3 months for a full sperm cycle so take this into consideration with trying over the next few months. The next lab test will need to be spaced out until that 3 months after starting the FertilAid before seeing improvements resulting from the FertilAid and lifestyle improvements.

I would give adequate time for improvements in sperm quality and natural conception before moving onto IUI's. Figure out your own timeline of trying naturally, say the next 3-6 months, and after that if no pregnancies move onto IUI for 3-5 months and if needed the next step would be IVF.

It can become overwhelming so just try to set a timeline of what you are comfortable doing and the pace you want to move. Also remember correcting that sperm quality can take some time so giving natural conception the next 3-6 months is realistic if you want to give the changes made time to improve the sperm quality.

I agree if after that sperm quality has time to improve and still no pregnancy the next step should be IUI.

Amy Perkins, MS, TS (ABB)
Laboratory Supervisor
Arizona Andrology Laboratory & Cryobank
International Center for Vasectomy Reversal

ofruktbar replied to amyaalc's response:
Thank you so much for your response. I am hopeful but at the same time, discouraged. Hopeful that the lifestyle changes that we've made will make a difference. Discouraged because it's already been 14 months of trying. We started trying when I turned 33, and now I am going on 35. I'm afraid that if we wait too long that I'll end up being less fertile as well.
One last question. Do you often see a big difference in sperm quality for men who make changes to their diet and take vitamin supplements? Enough of a difference to conceive naturally?
Ok, I guess that counts as 2 questions.
Thanks so much!

amyaalc replied to ofruktbar's response:
Yes, I've seen some simple changes for men lead to quick successful pregnancy so hang in there another 2-3 months and if still nothing start trying IUI's.

Amy

ofruktbar replied to amyaalc's response:
Amy,
Thank you so much for your help. I am 5 weeks pregnant! I cannot believe that the simple change over 2 months made the difference! I now hope that it will be a successful pregnancy. A little worried since some of your other posts say the chance of miscarriage is higher with poor morphology. Hoping this is not the case for us.
Thanks again!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had my sperm analysis after I stopped using the Testosterone for 2 month. And my sperm count shoot to 0.60 !!!! before was 12.000000 . My urologis...More

Helpful Tips

Semen Analysis
Dear Amy, Am 31 yrs old and am still bachelor plz find the report of Semen Analysis and advice me what to do. Volume :-05ml PH ISE 8.0 ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.