Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Semen analsyis
abigeila posted:
we have been TTC for 9 months now, i did every exam except for HSG, everything normal, my husband SA is as follows:
Volume
2.5 mL
Color Creamy White
Sperm Count 29 MILLION / ML
Progresive linear fast 18%
Progresive linear slow 20%
Non linear 24%
Moving in place 24%
Dead 14%
Normal Morphology 11%
Head Anomaly 73%
Cervix Anomaly 10%
Tail Anomaly 6%
Leukocytes 1*106 ml

im worried about morphology, only 11% normal, is this the cause we aren't pregnant yet. Help please

amyaalc responded:
Depending on the type of morphology test done as low as 4% normal is classified as normal for a fertile male, this is the Kruger Strict criterial or testing method.

To help improve that morphology and also the motility, progressive motility is low, I recommend following a sperm healthy lifestyle, see below, with daily vitamins to improve the sperm production and quality of that production.

Never judge fertility on a single semen analysis since they can vary greatly from day-to-day so have him start the sperm healthy lifestyle and retest in 1-2 months.

Amy Perkins, MS, TS (ABB)
Laboratory Supervisor
Arizona Andrology Laboratory & Cryobank
International Center for Vasectomy Reversal

Sperm-Healthy Lifestyle

1. No heat to the scrotum and groin areas. Heat causes damage to the sperm cells so stay away from hot tubs, saunas, Jacuzzis or soaking in baths above body temperature.
2. Stay well hydrated. Drink plenty of fluids. Caffeine is okay in moderation.
3. Eat a well balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Red meat and fish should be consumed regularly.
4. Regular ejaculations, every 24-48 hours, to keep the system revved up.
5. Avoid testosterone replacements and all male hormone/androgen supplements. These can drastically reduce or even zero-out sperm counts.
6. Absolutely no tobacco in any form. Tobacco use causes DNA damage to sperm cells that leads to lower pregnancy rates, increased incidence of miscarriage and birth defects. This holds true for marijuana and other recreational drugs.
7. Alcohol in moderation. Excess drinking is associated with significant sperm toxicity.
8. Maintain a healthy BMI level. Excess fat tissue results in increased estrogen and lowered testosterone.
9. Avoid cells phones in pants pockets or belt clip attachments. Do not place laptop, tablets or other computer devices directly on lap.

When it comes to supplements more does not always equal better so please follow the dosages below. If you are not a fan of taking all these individually we would recommend purchasing a male fertility blend vitamin such as FertilAid for Men, Fertility Blend for Men, Conception XR or other blended multivitamins containing a majority of these ingredients such as GNC's B-Complex 75 Complete (as low as $9.59/month) with the addition of the missing items. Fertility Boost for Men can also be added to help improve sperm motility and forward progression.

Always consult your primary care provider before starting any supplements.

Vitamin/Anti-oxidant Dosage Benefits

B Complex Once daily DNA
Vitamin C 500 mg daily Count, motility and morphology
Vitamin D 400 IU daily Improves sperm quality
Vitamin E 400 IU daily Motility, viability and morphology
Coenzyme Q10 200 mg daily Motility and forward progression
Folic Acid 1 mg daily Count and DNA
Acetyl L-carnitine 1 g daily Motility and forward progression
L-carnitine 1 g daily Motility and forward progression
Lycopene 10 mg daily Count and motility
Selenium 200 3BCg daily Motility, viability and morphology
Zinc 50 mg daily Count and DNA
Fish oil capsules 2-3 daily Count, motility and morpholog

amyaalc replied to amyaalc's response:
It is possible that you have not achieved pregnancy due to the morphology but still putting out good sperm that can get to the egg so hard to know. I would like to see better/stronger swimmers to know those sperm can get the job done.

abigeila replied to amyaalc's response:
Thank you much, i will begin fertility blend or fertility aid immediatilly. I wish they will help me to have my bfp soon.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had my sperm analysis after I stopped using the Testosterone for 2 month. And my sperm count shoot to 0.60 !!!! before was 12.000000 . My urologis...More

Helpful Tips

Mycoplasma infection can lead to male infertility
Mycoplasma, a sexually transmitted disease, not only can be affected via sexual contact, but also by sharing towel or poll with STD ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.