Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Testerone
Rennes posted:
My husband had a brain tumor as a child and had to go on Testerone. For many years he refused to take it. In his late teens and early twenties he went on the shots (cypionate) and he then went through puberty. Because he went through puberty so late and because of his case, I wonder how likely he is to have any sperm and if there is something we can do to get him producing it. We are not ready yet to have kids, but we will likely be trying within a year.

amyaalc responded:
He has a lot of factors to consider so very difficult to guess what his fertility stance would be. He can start with a semen analysis to see if he has any sperm production. This is the first step. Based on those results will lead you to the next step. No sperm then he needs to see a fertility trained urologist to see if the brain tumor disrupted his hypothalamus and pituitary which are responsible for hormone regulation.

Can he be given a treatment like GnRH to stimulate his natural testosterone and sperm production would be one thing that needs evaluated and this will depend on the hypothalamus and pituitary.

If he has sperm production but low there might be options to improve his sperm production levels for natural conception. If numbers are low but healthy sperm is present you can look into intrauterine inseminations or IVF.

Check to see if you have a urologist in your area that has a fellowship training in male factor fertility and start with an appointment.

Amy Perkins, MS, TS (ABB)
Laboratory Supervisor
Arizona Andrology Laboratory & Cryobank
International Center for Vasectomy Reversal

amyaalc replied to amyaalc's response:
treatment of HCG not GnRH can stimulate sperm production.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello All. My husband and I have been TTC baby # 2 since July 2010 so we are 17 months of trying. I will say it is much easier having my son now. He i...More

Helpful Tips

Muscle Building Motivation
who those people are that she can count on I okay say goodbye my she's cast doubt heard if I don't speak to her on no yeah she's in my ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.