Skip to content
Redo SA?
Heather922 posted:
Hello! My husband has had 2 SA's, both with similar results. We took them to the fertility clinic and the doctor told us that regular labs don't do a good enough job. He insisted that his office do one before he'd talk to us about options. Is this weird or is it just me?

An_252350 responded:
Fertility clinics are staffed medical clinics that assist couples, and sometimes individuals, who want to become parents but for medical reasons have been unable to achieve this goal via the natural course. Clinics apply a number of diagnosis tests and sometimes very advanced medical treatments to obtain the desired conceptions and pregnancies.

An_252350 replied to An_252350's response:
So not a problem if the doc wants to perform new report and then it will be more surity for its true result

amyaalc responded:
Standard testing laboratories do not have trained Andrologists as your local fertility clinic would and they are use to testing blood and urine samples.

If the SA's are all parameters normal it is likely everything is okay but if there are parameters coming up abnormal these are areas that need closer attention. Your fertility office will also test a few other parameters that a standard lab will not test and also have the most up to date training.

It's a hard spot and I understand that you are concerned about spending more money on the same tests. It's always okay to seek a second opinion if you have another fertility office in your area or reasonable driving distance to see if they will see you without requesting more money on labs inhouse. Fertility treatment is often cash pay so it is easy to find clinics that focus on that cash income over patient care.

If there is any concern with the SA results you should see a urologist not the fertility clinic because the fertility clinic often just specialize in the female factor and a fellowship trained urologist in male factor fertility will offer the best care.

If you need help finding someone in your area with male factor training just let me know your area or closest large city and I'll get you a few names.

Amy Perkins, MS, TS(ABB)
Laboratory Supervisor
Arizona Andrology Laboratory & Cryobank
International Center for Vasectomy Reversal

Heather922 replied to amyaalc's response:
Thank you Amy! The infertility doctor did day that normal labs don't test every parameter. I'm just cautious about taking his word as gospel because he is the only infertility doctor in the area (Eastern Washington). He told me there were no urologists in the area with a fertility speciality, would you mind checking that for me? I'm just afraid of being yanked around because there is no other immediate competition and your point about it being a cash business. I really appreciate your feedback.

Thank you so much!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had my sperm analysis after I stopped using the Testosterone for 2 month. And my sperm count shoot to 0.60 !!!! before was 12.000000 . My urologis...More

Helpful Tips

Treatments or erectile dysfunction
If you suffer from ED, there are plenty of erectile dysfunction therapy options and treatment erectile dysfunction.Then visit erectile ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.