Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Semen Analysis Report
An_252420 posted:
Hello Amy, I'm 44 yrs old, my wife and I have been pregant before and she miscarried at 5.5 weeks. I got my report today and would like your input. Thanks

WHO testing Total volume 2.5ml, Sperm count 36 mil, Red Cell Count 0.7, While blood cells *rare, Motility 74% , Ph 8.7, Viscosity: normal, Color: light yellow, Progression 2.5,

Morphology on raw specimen, Normal oval: *3%, Amorphous: 35%, Large head: 2, Small head: 3, Coiled: 41% , Misc: 15 tails , Other: 1 head

amyaalc responded:
With age comes decline in sperm count and quality but you have 3% normal so you have some text book perfect sperm cells. Only a select few hundred sperm make it past the cervix and you have a total of 90 million sperm to start out with so 3% of those is 2.7 million perfect sperm - plenty!

You can do a few things to try and improve your sperm quality. See sperm healthy lifestyle guidelines below. Do you take any prescription medications? Drink or smoke? Work around any chemicals or heat? Put a computer on your lap?

It is virtually impossible to predict the reason for the miscarriage and likely just the egg and sperm didn't combine perfectly so an early miscarriage happened. Nature doing it's job. If 2-3 miscarriages happen in a row that is reason to investigate but only 1 is of no concern. I've seen studies quote up to 50% of pregnancies miscarry. We can detect pregnancy earlier so we catch these early miscarriages when before you would think you are just late and the period would finally start now questions asked when in fact it was not a late period but an early miscarriage.

See my discussion post about morphology to learn more about the test and it's flaws. You should follow the sperm healthy lifestyle and retest another sample in 2-3 months. Never decide fertility on 1 semen analysis alone since it is not a true picture of fertility until you've had 203 tests.

Amy Perkins, MS, TS (ABB)
Laboratory Supervisor
Arizona Andrology Laboratory & Cryobank
International Center for Vasectomy Reversal

amyaalc responded:
Sperm-Healthy Lifestyle

1. No heat to the scrotum and groin areas. Heat causes damage to the sperm cells so stay away from hot tubs, saunas, Jacuzzis or soaking in baths above body temperature.
2. Stay well hydrated. Drink plenty of fluids. Caffeine is okay in moderation.
3. Eat a well balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Red meat and fish should be consumed regularly.
4. Regular ejaculations, every 24-48 hours, to keep the system revved up.
5. Avoid testosterone replacements and all male hormone/androgen supplements. These can drastically reduce or even zero-out sperm counts.
6. Absolutely no tobacco in any form. Tobacco use causes DNA damage to sperm cells that leads to lower pregnancy rates, increased incidence of miscarriage and birth defects. This holds true for marijuana and other recreational drugs.
7. Alcohol in moderation. Excess drinking is associated with significant sperm toxicity.
8. Maintain a healthy BMI level. Excess fat tissue results in increased estrogen and lowered testosterone.
9. Avoid cells phones in pants pockets or belt clip attachments. Do not place laptop, tablets or other computer devices directly on lap.

When it comes to supplements more does not always equal better so please follow the dosages below. If you are not a fan of taking all these individually we would recommend purchasing a male fertility blend vitamin such as FertilAid for Men, Fertility Blend for Men, Conception XR or other blended multivitamins containing a majority of these ingredients such as GNC's B-Complex 75 Complete (as low as $9.59/month) with the addition of the missing items. Fertility Boost for Men can also be added to help improve sperm motility and forward progression.

Always consult your primary care provider before starting any supplements.

Vitamin/Anti-oxidant Dosage Benefits

B Complex Once daily DNA
Vitamin C 500 mg daily Count, motility and morphology
Vitamin D 400 IU daily Improves sperm quality
Vitamin E 400 IU daily Motility, viability and morphology
Coenzyme Q10 200 mg daily Motility and forward progression
Folic Acid 1 mg daily Count and DNA
Acetyl L-carnitine 1 g daily Motility and forward progression
L-carnitine 1 g daily Motility and forward progression
Lycopene 10 mg daily Count and motility
Selenium 200 3BCg daily Motility, viability and morphology
Zinc 50 mg daily Count and DNA
Fish oil capsules 2-3 daily Count, motility and morphology

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello All. My husband and I have been TTC baby # 2 since July 2010 so we are 17 months of trying. I will say it is much easier having my son now. He i...More

Helpful Tips

Prostatitis also can be a cause of infertility
[a name="OLE_LINK1" title="Link: undefined">It is known to all that the low quality of sperm is the major cause of infertility, but is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.