Skip to content
Anti Malaria Pills and Sterilization in Soldiers
An_206311 posted:
My fiance is in the army, and he said that he has heard that a lot of Soldiers and Marines have become sterile due to the Anti Malaria Pills (and Electric Jammers (Not sure what that is)) they have to take every day.

When he comes home for good, which is soon, he wanted to start a family. We're already going to have a rough start because my cycle is irregular.

What is the likely hood of this actually happening? Does he really have a reason to be concerned?

AmyAALC responded:
Many medications can have temporary or longterm effects on fertility. I'm not familiar with the anti malaria pills you speak of so the best option is to have him get a semen analysis once he returns. Your issues of irregular cycles is very concerning and a sign of possible infertility. Most doctors will recommend that you try on your own for about 6 months and if no pregnancy making an appointment to be evaluated for infertility. You might want to talk with your Ob/Gyn about your cycle irregularities soon to see if there is any concern and if the problem can be fixed before your fiance returns.

Amy Perkins, MS, TS
Laboratory Supervisor
Arizona Andrology Laboratory & Cryobank
International Center for Vasectomy Reversal
wiccan_ravyn639 replied to AmyAALC's response:
My cycle has always been irregular, other than when I was on birth control of course. When I was younger I became pregnant, so I don't think infertility is an issue with me at this point.
AmyAALC replied to wiccan_ravyn639's response:
Past fertility is not always an indicator for current fertility.

I would recommend that your fiance begins a fertility blended vitamin to make sure he's being proactive about his fertility.


Spotlight: Member Stories

please edit my screen name to helthcare12345

Helpful Tips

eMobile Code Review... Its true work!
E-Mobile Code is a step by step Web Application that was designed and sold for $997 that's given people extraordinary results when it ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.