Skip to content

Announcements

Please see the new Men's Sexuality exchange. It is suggested that this exchange be geared to men's health issues.
Physical Exam Checkup
McAirIn posted:
I have to go and get a physical in a week and I was wondering if it's alright to ask my doctor questions like, "Is my penis normal size", and things like that. Are those kinds of questions taboo in the doctor's office?

Ramases responded:
McAirln,
Ask any questions concerning your body and yourself. That is why you have a physician. No question is taboo and no question is stupid exect the question you do not ask! If it helps make a list and take it with you to remember what to ask. Never think your physician will think less of you for asking questions. I always ask questions. Just take a deep breath and ask. Good luck with your physical.

playerman responded:
Ramases is absolutely correct. do not be afraid to ask any questions that you have. after all seeing the doctor is all about you and no one else.

Rokk_man responded:
The first time i went to the urologist, i asked him that exact question & even asked if it's normal for my penis to curve a little to the left when erect. He looked at my flaccid penis & said, "yes, penis' come in all sizes, trust me, I see many. As far as the curve, I'll have to see it. Can you get him erect or semi erect here?" I said, "I can try." He said, "you don't need me to leave the room, do you?" I said, "I don't think so." I pulled on my penis & stroked it a couple times & got semi hard. He looked at it & said, "oh, that's completely normal. I thought you meant a big curve." he answered my questions like no big deal & it wasn't uncomfortable at all.

mark_daniel replied to Rokk_man's response:

i don't think there are any questions about your own body that are off limits at the doctor's office. if you're not comfortable asking any of those questions to your doctor, and it's not just because you're a bit shy, you should consider finding a doctor you are comfortable with.

personally, i've asked my doctor all sorts of different questions, some a bit personal, and some totally random and just out of curiosity, and i think a doctor respects a man willing to put himself out there and ask.

McAirIn replied to mark_daniel's response:
Thanks everybody, your answers are really helpful. It's been almost 4 years since my last physical and I wanted to ask when I was younger but I was too shy to ask. I'll have a different doctor this time since I'm an adult (20) and I was wondering if it will be much different from when you have a physical when you're a teen. By the way Rokk_man my penis curves to the right a little bit when it's erect too.

Rokk_man replied to McAirIn's response:
As the doc told me, a small curve is normal as all penis' are different. & as Mark_daniel said, it's important to find a doc you're comfortable with. That's why I prefer a male doc to ask all the male questions when needed & to check me out down there as he has the same parts. Good luck!

Eugenio311 replied to Rokk_man's response:
Rokk_man is right and so was his doc. Longer erect penises are statistically more likely to have a curve. Those average or smaller ( less than 6") are more likely to be straight. All very normal. Not to be confused with Peyronie's Disease (an erection curve that wasn't present before). That condition needs prompt treatment or it can get worse.

MattysHeRe responded:
ask your doc anything, but there is tons of info out there on normal penis size. I think the average size (dont quote me) is anywhere from 5 to 6. inches.

McAirIn replied to MattysHeRe's response:
I actually already went about 2 weeks ago, but I did get to ask him some of the questions I wanted to ask. I didn't get to ask him about my penis size because the situation wasn't right. While he was checking my lower abdomen and I was laying on the exam chair, the blood started flowing a little bit down there. When it came time to examine my testicles, my penis was about 35% erect so asking him if my penis size was normal wasn't the same as if I was completely flaccid. I actually do know a lot of information about penis size, it's just that I wanted to ask someone who actually sees a lot of penises on a daily basis.

voyager1 responded:
Absolutely not. My younger brother would ask the strangest of questions such as: How long is your penis? TO THE DOCTOR or, Can I see it? which was embarrassing and the doctor handled it well. Just come across as serious, if you seem to ask with the intent to place the doctor in a sticky situation then he might not answer with full medical detail.

Spotlight: Member Stories

6'4" 45, slim, boxer guy for work,, no boxers at home. love to shower outdoors... swim nude. and jerk one off when ever I can. strangest plac...More

Helpful Tips

B
Does any one have a recommendation on a brand of boxer briefs that hold their shape throughout the day? I have Hanes 100% cotton boxer ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 58 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.