Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please see the new Men's Sexuality exchange. It is suggested that this exchange be geared to men's health issues.
The Average Locker Room
An_206177 posted:
I was thinking of joining a gym lately because I'm bored with working out at home. How common is it for guys to get showers at the gym? I would like to be able to so I wouldn't stink up my car but I don't want to be the only one because it would feel weird. Is it also common to see other guys with erections in the locker room? Because I get them at the most random times and I wouldn't want the others to think I am something I'm not... Is it something that should be covered up or just ignored? Any stories or reasons you have that can convince me I'm just overreacting or not would be appreciated haha.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Commando14 responded:
Interesting question. I generally go to the gym every morning before work and take my work clothes with me so I shower, shave and get ready for work after my workout. There are many other members who do the same thing regularly. The gym I go to has individual stall showers with shower curtains but the changing areas are wide open so there are times when you see and are seen while changing. I have been in locker rooms for over 30 years since 7th grade gym class and am comfortable with changing/showering, etc and really dont give it a second thought. There are guys who seem uncomfortable and skip showering and head out right after a workout but I can't imagine wanting to go anywhere but a hot shower after a sweaty workout.

Gyms vary from one to another and also by time of day. Some gyms have open communal showers while others are completely private and probably everything in between. You can tour or get a guest pass at most gyms before you join to find one that you are comfortable with. Based on my experiences, erections happen and so does shrinkage...its just part of being a guy. Good luck.

SS1995 replied to Commando14's response:
Everytime I go (which is usually before work) I shower. I'm not getting back in my car being all ripe. Most guys I see there shower as well. A few go home, but I think they live near by. Even when I am going home afterwards I still shower. Its very relaxing and refreshing to clean up afterwards.

I would go in in the sauna, but I can't get up earlier than I do so I just use it on the weekends.

Our gym showers have stalls w/ doors, but then a transition area w/ hooks. Don't have an issue drying off there.

I also find it fun to just get ready at the gym so I can chat w/ the usual crowd who are in my locker bay. Makes me want to go to the gym more if I can socialize.

An_206178 responded:
Do mostly all gyms do separate shower stalls now?

Manjock replied to An_206178's response:
My Gym has both stalls and communal showers in the mens change rooms. I use the communal because I am not shy and like to have a look at others. lol. Some guys get erections in the locker room and the shower. Just relax and have a good time. I have never gone home without showering and working out can make me really horny, Nothing like a long hot shower to relax.?

An_206179 replied to Manjock's response:
So little answers for a question that's liable for so many responses. What? Doesn't anybody go the gym anymore? haha

RevoHor replied to An_206179's response:
I don't go to the gym anymore because I can't afford it. I used to go and I loved it and I always showered after a workout. My gym had a communal shower, hot tub, sauna, and steam room. Most guys were either totally naked in them all or had a towel on. I always went naked just because I love being naked. I mean, how often do you get to be naked around a bunch of people without anyone caring? So I took advantage of the situation.

I never saw any erections, really, but if it happens, it happens, and I think most men understand. I wouldn't worry about it.

liveitup7 replied to RevoHor's response:
Well thank you for your answer! It gets a little frustrating when nobody really answers so thank you haha. I hope to get more responses.

pogo99 replied to liveitup7's response:
I always showered at the gym...and do the sauna/hot tub thing. I've gotten erection in the sauna/steam room always under my towel. I think most people hide their erection if they have one. As normal as erections are...IMO having one around naked men in a gym's bathroom is a little bit embarrasing. At the same time, I think everybody will ignore your erection.

An_206180 responded:
Two more questions: What gyms do you guys go to? Are they privatley owned gyms or "chain" gyms. And are the showers communal or private or even both?

jem2153 replied to An_206180's response:
The last 3 gyms I was member at were chains and all had private shower stalls. I always shower after a workout. I noticed that the gyms that provide towels and soap etc had more guys using the showers. My current gym is low budget and you bring your own. The showers are in a private area where you can dry off and then go change in the open locker room. It is no big deal. It seems that only a few of the younger guys (under 30) take showers at my new gym.

An_206181 replied to jem2153's response:
Really? That's good to know. I guess communal showers just aren't around anymore. What chain gyms did you go belong to?

MattysHeRe replied to An_206178's response:
Most gyms I've been to either have communal showers or open stall. Some have private ones but it is rare. I was intimidated at first too. You get over it. Just face your fear and let it hang out! Nobody cares and some people are just as shy as you are.

If you get an erection in the shower ask yourself why. Are you turned on by men? Or is it just your body reacting normally? When you are washing your junk in the shower it is normal to get a hard on because you are rubbing and touching yourself. lol figure out why it happens. You're age may be a factor too. guys in their early 20's are always hard. lol Hope this helps.

mark_daniel responded:
have always showered at the gym after working out. i think i tend to sweat a bit more than most guys, so i don't want to get back in the car like that. not to mention that a long shower after a hard workout is relaxing, and you feel great afterwards. a lot of times i'll use the sauna first, and then shower after.

my current gym (LA fitness) has private shower stalls, which i kind of prefer. i'm not really self conscious, but it's just nice to have that private space to yourself to relax.

before, and in the past, i went to a gym that had communal showers, and i'm fine with that too. but i have to be honest, part of the reason i like having a private stall, is because in the communal showers there often seemed to be someone checking you out a bit more than what was comfortable, if you know what i mean. i mean, we all look, self included, but after a certain point it becomes strange. i'm not circumcised, so i think that was part of it, but sometimes it was still just uncomfortable.

i think part of it too, and someone else noted this, is that it seems the younger guys (20s - 30s) don't use the showers at the gym. so if you feel like you're surrounded by a lot of older, and sometimes much older men, you feel a bit out of place.

rob15lov responded:
Thought you might find this very interesting and as this thread goes on there are even a lot of pictures showing that there are still a lot of open shower rooms around today in modern times too if you look for them, (you may have to sign up for free to see some of the cool pictures that appear a lot as the thread goes on and more of the full thread discussions on this very interesting topic :

http://www.lpsg.org/29448-open-locker-room-showers.html

http://www.lpsg.org/29448-open-locker-room-showers-118.html#post2785248

Helpful Tips

B
Does any one have a recommendation on a brand of boxer briefs that hold their shape throughout the day? I have Hanes 100% cotton boxer ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 58 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.