Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please see the new Men's Sexuality exchange. It is suggested that this exchange be geared to men's health issues.
Prostate Exam
sun44 posted:
Curious to hear about how old some of you were when you were first given a prostate exam and how it was done and how did you respond. I have heard that some men really don't not like to have it done and others are glad that their doctors include this in their regular exams.

mark_daniel responded:
actually had my first prostate exam about two years ago now. i'm only in my mid 30s, but i had some concerns about frequent urination. my regular doctor said i was probably fine but suggested going to a urologist to get everything checked out for my own peace of mind. it turned out everything was fine, but i was glad i went to be sure.

the prostate exam was honestly probably the most uncomfortable thing i've ever had happen at a doctor's office. but it was probably more about the urologist and how he handled it than anything else. he was a much older man, probably late 40s or 50s, and didn't do anything to make me feel more comfortable or at ease about anything. he kind of shrugged off my questions as if they weren't relevant or important, and that i was kind of stupid for even asking.

the exam was done in a room with multiple doors, where people seemed to be coming and going, so there wasn't any sense of privacy at all. and while wearing the rubber gloves to administer the exam, he used so much vaseline lubricant and didn't wipe away much of the excess at all. I didn't really want to take too much time to clean it up, since it seemed like someone might walk in at any moment. Now, I'm not really self conscious about being naked around other guys, but it's something totally different when it's something like this and around female nurses or assistants. I know, they've probably seen it all and then some, but still. So I left feeling disgusting and went home and had a shower right away.

I hope you weren't expecting stories with a bit of an erotic tilt with that question, because for me, my experience was as far from that as possible.

An_206216 replied to mark_daniel's response:
This is just one of those things that you have to get done. If you go in with that attitude and relax it isn't that uncomfortable. Don't be embarrass by it the Doc has done gazillions of them and has seen every possible response. For me it is a cross between some discomfort and some pleasure. I think the first time I had it was in my 20's at a company physical. It wasn't something I was expecting but I got through it.

otter051069 replied to An_206216's response:
Can't remember when I had the first one done, but I've noticed that some guys complain about them being painfull and uncomfortable. Myself, I don't feel any uncomfort nor pain, not that you want it done every day, but as far as that aspect I don't experience any of that.

I'm usually on my left side, but I have had my prostate checked bending over and one other time when I was at an urologist having a cystoscopy,my legs were already in stirrups and I was on my back, he checked me that way, So I guess a multitude of different positions, but none of them, at least for me we all that bad.

gq12 replied to otter051069's response:
I've had several of these in the past few years. I always thought that I would enjoy it and it is not painful at all, but it doesn;t do much for me. Usually the Dr is in and out so quick. The last one I laid on my back (I've done them on my side or bent over the table) thinking it would be a better position, and I was able to talk to my Dr as he performed the DRE. Because of this he took longer and caused me to produce some fluid from my penis but it still didn't do much for me...

Rokk_man responded:
I hate having my prostate examined. A finger in there doesn't feel good at all!

rickone replied to Rokk_man's response:
be glad it's being done,it's the best and easiest way for a physician to determine if you prostate is enlarged,normal or whatever. it can save your life,prostate cancer usually begins with an enlarged prostate. undetected it canadvance to major problems.
a urologist will perform the best exam, they are not inhibited by the process and will be thorough. you shouldn't be inhibited either, it's part of male life. if you can relax it won't feel painful. erections, discharges are not uncommon and are just part of the area inside you being stimulated. think of the physician; how many times a day do they have to shove their fingers up someones anus.that;s why they make the big bucks.

txmn1212 replied to rickone's response:
I was 42 when I had my first prostate exam. I ended up having trouble with my tailbone (sitting for long periods of time), and the doctor did the exam to rule out any possiblity of prostate issues. Turned out it was nothing with my prostate, so he gave me a "donut pillow" to sit on at work. That seemed to solve the problem!

nomorehair responded:
for the last 20 yrs i been getting a prostate exam. early this year i now have to go to the Urologist every 6 months to be checked out. I have always had a female doctor and when i was told i had to see a Urologist the first thing i did was to find a female Urologist. so now i see her. She even had to removed kidney stone by laser. I was in a lot of pain after surgey that they had to keep me in the hospital over night.
the next morning i could not pee so the nurse had to put a catheter in me.
i like having a female doctor exam my penis then a man.

An_254471 replied to gq12's response:
My doctor said my prostate is higher up than usual. She puts me in stirrups to perform the exam. It is physically uncomfortable and humiliating being on display like that. The paper gown covers nothing in that position and it is embarrassing to see her standing there with a finger in me. It is not exciting in any way, just humiliating.

Helpful Tips

More Discussions
Hey guys not sure if anyone else caught on but I just figured out at the bottom of the threads there is a link that says "more dicussions" ... More
Was this Helpful?
130 of 195 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.