Skip to content

Announcements

Please see the new Men's Sexuality exchange. It is suggested that this exchange be geared to men's health issues.
What gym?
An_206217 posted:
Interested in joining a gym. Any recommendations? Please only recommend gyms that can be found around the country considering everyone doesn't live in the same place.

Also... how much is a monthly membership and does the gym have any special features (pool, sauna, fitness classes)?

Plus I have a little more personal question... what are the showers like at the gym? Communal or private? I'm not fully comfortable with communal but will tolerate it if I must. Is it true all YMCAs have communal showers?

SS1995 responded:
I belong to Lifetime Fitness (I think it it was about $100 for me and my wife) . I know its a national chain. The showers are stalls. The have glass doors (at least in mine they do), but they are frosted so you can get your privacy. There is also a drying off area if you prefer to dry off outside of a little stall (which is what I do) . They also provide the towels for showers and workout so that is nice. I love not bringing a wet towel in my car.

It has sauna/steam room (mine has signs that cover up is required so its good if you like that) , pool, kids center, classes... etc. I really like it, but I go before work when the work crowd goes. Its crammed w/ kids in the evening and during the summer.

I've also belonged to Crunch and La Fitness and was pleased.

ChevyDudeNYC responded:
Planet Fitness, an independently operated chain. I pay $ 10/month. That's right, $ 10 per month with a $ 29 annual fee

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Maxwell Barto I am 23 and I live in New York.

Helpful Tips

B
Does any one have a recommendation on a brand of boxer briefs that hold their shape throughout the day? I have Hanes 100% cotton boxer ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 59 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!