Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please see the new Men's Sexuality exchange. It is suggested that this exchange be geared to men's health issues.
Penis
justplainfickled posted:
What causes the penis to stay small, shrunk up, like you stepped outside into the cold of winter, until excited by an erection? No erectile disorders or anything. Been like this since a child but have heard that it is do to over active muscles in that area, like a weight lifter or body builder. Not sure if that is true either. My wife and I are happy but we both were wondering why that happens when I am relaxed.

zoom1969 responded:
I think actually that is pretty common for most guys! Maybe not all but some.... That happens to me too for no reason at all. Def in cold weather! But sometimes during warm weather I have had that happen too. Not all that often but sometimes. I'll have to reach down and tug at it and kind of pull it out. Not really sure what causes it. Kind of weird huh?

HEADER_72 responded:
I thought I was the only one who this happens to...
I certainly don't understand why it happens, but I do know it sucks! It's like our "Junk" has a mind of its own. Temperature definitely plays a big roll in "shrinkage", for me.
For me, when this happens, the scrotum is involved, also. It draws up so freakin' tight... you could bounce a quarter off of it.

If someone can shed some light on what causes this, please feel free to share!

An_206218 replied to HEADER_72's response:
Mine doesn't need cold weather, it is like this all the time. almost as if it was a head of a turtled pulled back in it's shell continuously. I hate it.

ChevyDudeNYC replied to An_206218's response:
The penis reacts to changes in blood flow and the scrotum reacts to temperature. Your body seeks to keep the testes cool enough or warm enough for optimal fertility. It is so normal and it just means your body is doing what it is supposed to.

Helpful Tips

Aftershave for Penis Shaft and Scrotum Shave
According to the poll we have on whether you shave your equipment or not the results as of today are 80 shave, 17 don't. Clearly the ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 9 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.