Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please see the new Men's Sexuality exchange. It is suggested that this exchange be geared to men's health issues.
Colonoscopy Procedure
GaMale770 posted:
I'm a 47 year old male and will be having my first colonoscopy procedure done this Tues. Feb 15th. I'm a little nervous and not too sure what to expect.

If I'm correct, I'm really not at the age where I am required to have one perfomed on me as of yet? However because of some occasional internal rectal bleeding, my PCP has requested that I get one done.

My GI Dr. kind of expalined what he will be doing and what he'll be looking for, I don't think he explained how long will this procedure would take. All I know is that I have to take some Laxatives and some Miralax Powder mixed with gatorade the night prior to the procedure along with avoiding certain foods and of course not having any solid foods the day before.

Has anyone on here had this procedure done before? If so, I'd be glad to hear how it went and what to expect.

GaMale

swim1960 responded:
I had a colonoscopy a few months ago and the worst part, by far, was drinking the powder the night before the procedure. Between drinking a large amount of liquid and the time spent on the toilet, I got very little sleep. The procedure itself was a piece of cake. Really, there's nothing to worry about.

StPeteBob responded:
I'm 46 with a family history of colon and rectal cancer. I just had my first conlonoscopy procedure last week. The "bowl prep" laxitaves and not eating solid food for a day was the worst part. As with any surgery you can't take anything by mouth after midnight the night before. Be sure to drink lots of fluids. I was fairly dehydrated the day of the procedure. The laxitives draw water into your bowel and you have major diarrea. I check in at 11 am and was picked up and home by 2pm. The procedure itself probably only takes about 20 - 30 minutes but I was totally out. I remember talk to the doctor...starting to slur my words and the next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery. It's a little embarrasing having to roll over on your side and just the idea that you are going to have something stuck up your ass. But like I said I was out and don't remember any of the procedure. My results were clear... if they do find a polip or something else they will do a biopsy. Because I didn't have any of that they actually cancelled my follow. I felt slughish the rest of the day but was happy just to be able to eat. I did have a little anal bleeding and leakage the next day (gross I know) and tenderness. You'll be fine. Good luck.

HairyD replied to StPeteBob's response:
Gamale, drinking the clean solution and sitting on the toilet is the worst part. I was out has soon as the nurse removed my gown. I woke in the recovery room.
If you have a proctoscope exam you are awake on all fours on the table. My penis always hangs erect. You feel each inch and try not to moan. The doctor telling you I am being gentle but your so tight. The same info I tell my wife. lol

You may not longer have a vigin anus. But no pain. Everyone should have colonoscopy procedure done every few years after 50.
Any Valentine loving will need to be early on the 14th.

GaMale770 responded:
Thanks guys for all your reponses.

Not looking foward to sitting on the toilet all day and especially not eating. Was told all I could eat or shold I say drink the day before the procedure with is today Monday, was broth.

It's just past midnight and I'm still up surfing the net trying to kill time so I won't have to get up early tomorrow because I know I'll be hungry....LoL

Gonna be a long day tomorrow : (

GaMale770 responded:
Well, everything went well for me.

No polyps found (Thank God), He did however find a few small internal hemorrhoids which explains the ocassional blood in my stool.

Anyway, Dr.said they were very minor and I need not to be too concerned about them, but did recommend I change my diet by adding a little more Fiber to it,

By the way, you guys were right, the worse part of the entire procedure was the preparation for it. The Miralax mixed with Gatorade wasn't soo bad after all. However, the loss of sleep of having to get up every 10-15 minutes to go to the bathroom really sucked,

Oh and HairyD, although I may no longer have a Virgin ass, I think my ass hurt more from all the wiping than it did from the scope. I'm just glad I was completely out during the procedure........LoL

Once again, thanks for your input.

GaMale

It was the constant wiping that killed me the most....LoL

HairyD replied to GaMale770's response:
I agree, but the constant farts in the recovery room. Had the nurse laughing. But they were clean farts...Glad you had a good report, they remove a large polpy from me and had diificult withthe dotor stopping the bleeding. I also had issue with not breathing while on the table for over a hour. The doctor has put the hose up my ass two times. It better than xrays with fuild up the but. The gown to your thighs the woman asking you to move with the penis swing. I also had this twice

GaMale770 responded:
HairyD,

Did you have a colonscopy or Lower GI? I don't think they're the same thing?

It sounds like you were awake for your procedure. I think if I were awake dring mine, I would also have problems breathing due to having a hose going up my ass......LoL

Years ago, when I was in the military, I had a Lower GI procedure for what they thought was Ulcers. And yes, I was wide awake during the procedure.

My ass was so damn tight they couldn't even get the hose in my ass until they shot me up with something to relax my ass muscles. (Then I was loose as a goose).......LoL.

Oh, and yes the air and barrium they shoot up your ass does have a tendedcy to make you wanna fart.

GaMale

HairyD replied to GaMale770's response:
I had the Colonscopy and after each scopy. Then the barium enema with a plug in my ass I turned in differant positions for x rays. Wide awake with a hose out my ass. I should have been nude the gown would not keep me cover has I turned. The presure of the fluild in my anus I would prefer to be sleep. Each time the colon was curved therefore Dr was not able to get scope thru to view the whole colon.

Spotlight: Member Stories

WebMDStPeteBob@hotmail.com I'm from Tampa Bay, Florida area and in my late 40's. I grew up with 5 brothers and enjoy the company of men. I wa...More

Helpful Tips

B
Does any one have a recommendation on a brand of boxer briefs that hold their shape throughout the day? I have Hanes 100% cotton boxer ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 58 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.