Skip to content

Announcements

Please see the new Men's Sexuality exchange. It is suggested that this exchange be geared to men's health issues.
Urinals: becoming a thing of the past?
gymrat44 posted:
Over the years it's been customary for guys to hang out together in the men's room shoulder to shoulder at urinals to have a 'squirt ''n shake' while making small talk. We'd get done, stuff ourselves back into our pants and be on our way.

Nowadays it seems I'm increasingly by myself at the urinals as younger guys head straight for the stalls where many of them pee standing up into the toilet. Some shut the doors behind them, some don't. (And many of them spray onto the toilet, the seat and the floor as well as not flushing, all of which I find disgusting!)

I know that some guys can have a nervous condition which inhibits their urine from flowing easily when they're trying to pee in the presence of others. Those guys I'll give a break to. But for the rest: what are you going into a stall for? Being able to use a urinal to get it done is a convenience pleasantly reserved for males and it does seem too bad not to see it being used. Also missed is the easy camaraderie which used to take place when we 'hung out together'.

What's up, guys? Please fill an older guy in!
manhood should be enjoyed, not proven -- gymrat44

Anon_130552 responded:
Over the years it is no longer a easy camaraderie. The younger guys increasingly are leaving you by yourself. Because they know to many males are looking for more than to compare the differant in size of each one's penis. As they say the bad apple will ruin the others.

gymrat44 replied to Anon_130552's response:
And just what are these younger guys afraid is going to happen? If it's their conscience and they're afraid that another guy is going to hit upon them the same gross way that they hit upon women, could be they have it coming.

Otherwise, I can't imagine what threat having a guy at the next urinal could be to somebody. Unless that person gets freaked out being thought of as a sex object.

Being a sex object can be fun -- but that's another topic and I'll just stop here for now.

hairyd replied to gymrat44's response:
Gymrat, If a woman has her vaginal . Displayed in view of a man. She is requesting to be hit upon and MORE
Some ladies do enjoy being hit on; and being appreciated as a sexy female.
Your comment "what are these young guys afraid is going to happen" You must not think like a male.
If you are in another male's space. The male (as does some females) will response with defense of his manhood.. Depending on the man this could be a black eye, broke nose, etc. It is better to avoid a conflict. Therefore causing a lost of job, police report, etc. Therefore he is using the can.
Then there are men whom prefer to be in private. Because this is the practice of a female.

gymrat44 replied to hairyd's response:
I'm not understanding you, HairyD. Do you use urinals? And if you do if someone comes up and starts using the on next to where you are, is that guy 'in your space'? To me -- and I certainly do think as a male since I am one -- the guy next to me is not in my space and I am not in his. We are both taking a leak at a reasonable distance from each other.

A guy goes into a stall to avoid a black eye? I must say I had never thought of it and still do not think that a reasonable explanation! To me it just sounds fruitcake.

gq12 replied to gymrat44's response:
I think it is that young guys are so private about showing their penis to anyone. Many will not shower at the gym and now it seems they don't even want to take it out to pee! I don't think that these guys are worried that another guy next to them will make a move therefore causing a fight/altercation, but there probably are a few homophobes who think that way!

hairyd replied to gymrat44's response:
Yes, I always use the urinals. Standing next to another male friend or strange pissing in a drain. Is not in your space.
But having the stranger glaze at you penis. Yes I have had them make comments. Is not the reason for the Mens Room.
It's the Moms (and some Dads) that stopped gang showers in schools. Making boys feel embrassed. about their penis.
Young men learn from commets and actions of their parents.
When I did a thread about open male nudeness in school;
read your comments..

gymrat44 replied to gq12's response:
You know I think that in one sense this urinal-avoidance business is just a piece of all of us getting more and more plugged into just ourselves and not connecting with anyone else. Last week I even saw a young guy, fully clothed, bring his iPad with him into the steamroom! Now there's one place where it's great to be unplugged from the whole world, except perhaps from a couple of other guys you might be able connect with and to talk to there. And I don't think that the steam would do any electronic device much good, either.

Same at home -- everyone has his/her own TV set and nobody watches the same program anymore. Or eat together, it seems. So I guess why should the men's room be any different? The whole busines to me seems like society going in the wrong direction.

bbbguy replied to hairyd's response:
I agree with HairyD. I went to a college that had a really old but keep up male dorm. The showers were on one side of the wall and the urinal was a long trough on the opposite wall. So it was no big deal to stand next to other guys and take a leak. Plenty guys made comments. Some would brag on how big their dick was. And early in the mornings it was not uncommon for guys to come to the trough or the shower with morning wood. But like I said this was a much older dorm made back in the days when it was not big deal to shower in open showers or stand taking a leak with a row of guys in a trough. Today these type of dorms are no longer made.

BasaltBill replied to hairyd's response:
I also always use the urinal and sometimes unzip, unbutton and haul it ll out for an unrestricted pee. I don't show off but don't care if anyone helps themselves to a peek . . . and they do, i.e., natural male curiousity . Yes, I grew up when gang showers for males were the norm and sort of a rite of passage if not an initiation into the "club" of penis owners. This was accepted readily by all of the boys with which I grew up.
What's happened since then? Feminization of males in this age of single mothers raising sons, awareness and fear of pedophiles, lack of males mentoring boys/young men, distant if not disinterested fathers and yes homophobia, even as homosexuality is sprayed in our faces everyday! In college, I walked from my dorm room to the gang showers, naked with towel over my shoulder every morning and in doing so gave permission to others to do the same, unknowingly building our bond as men. I sympathize with the men who have not allowed themselves that freedom and experience! At my local gym the locals mostly shave, brush, floss, steam, hot tub, etc., freely naked but visitors and younger men exhibit "towel-dancing" / unneccesary modesty in the men's locker room. It's not a localized phenomena, unfortunately it's endemic. Go figure . . .

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 20 year old college student who graduated from a small private school in a small town. Not much to do but hang out with friends and go to th...More

Helpful Tips

Aftershave for Penis Shaft and Scrotum Shave
According to the poll we have on whether you shave your equipment or not the results as of today are 80 shave, 17 don't. Clearly the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.