Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please see the new Men's Sexuality exchange. It is suggested that this exchange be geared to men's health issues.
German Sauna
Polfsky posted:
I recently took a trip to Austria and stayed in a hotel where there was spa/sauna facility. I went to check it out and it was a coed facility, so I prepared my shorts and towel before going into sauna. [br>[br>Then I found a guy in there completely nude and that caught me off guard because the whole spa area was supposed to be coed. He was leaving and started speaking to me in German which I didn't understand then he just walked away into shower still completely nude. I didn't mind the nudity but just found it strange because if my female friends had come down with me, they would have been shocked.[br>[br>Then I googled about it and found that in German speaking countries, this is completely normal and not being naked in spa is in fact inappropriate.[br>[br>I found it interesting and thought I'd share it here. I wish that gyms around here would be a little more open. No one goes into sauna/steam room naked in my area even in men's sauna.

92135_man responded:
I completely agree with you. Nudity has become something that is frowned upon. I think saunas should definitely be nude and and people should not make it a big deal. I like to be nude in the saunas and steam rooms.

tnguy1 replied to 92135_man's response:
I agree as well - Our dry sauna is in the men's locker room and I go in there nude with a towel on my lap to be discreet. Most guys, young and old, have on their gym clothes, swim suit or shorts. I've only see 1 or 2 guys in there nude.

hairyd replied to tnguy1's response:
You may go at a differant time. When I can to go when it first opens. There is only males of a older age. It is not a nude gym. But at that time of the morning the guys are naked in the gym working out and the sauna. Since there is no complaints the owner does not enforce the rules. I have seen the manager sometimes take a dip naked About seven these dudes leave; clothes on in the gym. But the sauna is part of the locker room; therefore it towels on or off.

bbbguy replied to hairyd's response:
I can relate to what HairyD posted. I go to a gym that is open to men and women from 10am to 11pm. But it is open from 4am to 8am each day except one day is only men during the 4 to 8 time and then the next day only women during the 4 to 8 time. On the morning that it is only men just about all the men are naked. At first it was really different. But after a few times I got used to it. Guys just hang out talking in the steam room or sauna or even the gym totally naked.

Hunter responded:
Last year I stayed at the Hilton in Nuremberg and after a day of beer drinking I thought a sauna would be great. I went into the health club and was taking off my bathrobe when a good looking nude women came around the corner. She could tell I was startled but thankfully I understand German and she said, it's okay, this is coed. There were 5 or 6 men in the sauna completely nude stretched out on towels, but no women. Every few minutes one of them would go to the cold shower and come back in. I've never seen so many incredible uncircumcised cocks.
The fact is that American men are obsessed with the size of their genitals. Half the junk e-mail and radio commercials are for penis enlargement, etc. I was on an incredible cruise ship for a week in January and they had a super sauna with individual shower stalls that were like standing under a waterfall. It was close to one of the pools so every few hours I'd take a 15 minute sauna, or go there after dinner. In the 7 days I was on board I only ran into one other guy in the sauna and he was wearing a tee shirt and gym shorts. It was great, a private sauna for a full week, but it would have been nice to have some company.

gq12 replied to Hunter's response:
I much prefer company when going to the suana or steamroom. I also prefer nude.

miamipump replied to gq12's response:
gq12 - agree.
We should hit the steamroom sometime.

gq12 replied to miamipump's response:
well, you can find me at the LA Fitness sauna everytime I go!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

WebMDStPeteBob@hotmail.com I'm from Tampa Bay, Florida area and in my late 40's. I grew up with 5 brothers and enjoy the company of men. I wa...More

Helpful Tips

B
Does any one have a recommendation on a brand of boxer briefs that hold their shape throughout the day? I have Hanes 100% cotton boxer ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 58 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.