Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please see the new Men's Sexuality exchange. It is suggested that this exchange be geared to men's health issues.
Nocturnal Erections
tnguy1 posted:
I am curious how often men find themselves having a boner while asleep. I myself have a boner all night long and find my erections to be problematic when turning over etc. I believe this is good for the penis health but all night? Should I ask my doctor about this?

gymrat44 responded:
I usually wake up several times each night and it's rare that I don't have a boner when I wake up. I like that and find it comforting. And supposedly that's common for all of us: having an erection is more of a normal thing than we'd think from how things go during the day.

Growing up we are indirectly trained not to get our penises erect at inappropriate times -- even though that did seem to happen all too often during high school, didn't it? Anyway, we sort of make up for that by getting hard a number of times each time we sleep. One time I realized that I had awakened with a hard one three times during the night and thought of those TV ads for ED meds which say "if you have an erection lasting longer than four hours, see a physician" since that can be a dangerous situation. However, it didn't take my sleepy self long to realize that it was a different erection I was experiencing each time I woke up. I'm pretty sure, anyway.

How are your an erections a problem for rolling over? One's penis will bend to accommodate the shifting position. And if you sleep nude, at least from the waist down which I recommend, you'll just comfortably flop to accommodate the change in landscape.

Bottom line -- if you'd feel more comfortable talking which your doctor about it, I'd do that. If nothing else it might make it easier for you to talk with him about sexual issues, something which isn't the easiest to do.
manhood should be enjoyed, not proven -- gymrat44

bbbguy responded:
Well to start out if you are asleep during the night then how do you know that you have a boner all night? Usually a man will have a boner off and on all through the night. It is is normal and just way the male body works. You most likely have a hard on most of the time while you are sleeping. You are just waking up when it is hard. If you talked with you doctor about it he most likely will say not too worry about it. He may even tell you that you could masturbate a time or two during the night to calm it down, so to speak. Just be glad you have a dick that works.

ontbear responded:
tnguy1: The male's testsrone becomes the "highest during sleep hours". That is the reason the erections are so often during sleep. He will find many mornings he has a soft or even a hard erection when in the bathroom. Normal, Normal--this will wane as the years go by. ontbear.

tnguy1 replied to ontbear's response:
I am 54 and hasn't waned one bit. I guess I am lucky.

Helpful Tips

B
Does any one have a recommendation on a brand of boxer briefs that hold their shape throughout the day? I have Hanes 100% cotton boxer ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 58 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.