Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.
Has anyone had interferon treatments
An_205962 posted:
I have had surgery on Dec 21st for Melanoma stage 3c, had it removed from my arm and also all the lymph nodes under the arm and 3 were cancer, I am borderline with treatment since the cancer was very small but since it has spread from my finger in 2006, that was staged insitu, the doctors want me to have the interferon IV for 5 days a week for 4 weeks and then give myself shots for the remaining 11 months. I have read about the side effects and they really scare me, so if someone can put my mind at ease I would sure appreciate it. I will start treatment on Feb 7th .

pgerryd responded:
I had a friend with Melanoma who was diagnosed around the same time as me in 2007. He was on Interferon and has since passed. After my lymph node surgery I became Stage 4 approximately 8 months later when a tumor was discovered in my colon resulting in another surgery. I am currently following the 'Budwig Protocol' and have had 'no evidence of disease' since. My oncologist believes there is no clinical evidence that Interferon works. He says the same about the protocol I follow but I am still here.....today.

An_205963 responded:
My mother did this in 11/09, it did not help, and then she followed medical advice and went through isolated limb perfusion (megadoses of chemo) which did not help either....bottom line...they have no answers for melanoma. I do not think the odds are really worth it, but no one can make that decision for you...best of luck!

An_205964 responded:
You might want to get a second opinion from another doctor.

Ask your doctor about Ipilimumab for melanoma. It may be out of clinical trail and if you look on this site, read anything from Jayray - (Jeff) he is taking this treatment and it is helping him.

My sister took interferon for kidney cancer and it did not help her and she felt like she had the flu .It was so hard on her.

Please let us hear from you and I hope things get better for you.

moodymom66 responded:
Hi. I was just wondering how your treatment was going. My mom had interferon with her kidney cancer. Please let me know how you are doing. I'm thinking a lot about you.

Helpful Tips

Font Size!
Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding Ctrl on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. Could be ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 28 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.