Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.
New Device Spots Melanoma
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
A new device helps dermatologists whether or not to order a biopsy of suspicious lesions has been approved by the FDA.

This article, New Device Spots Melanoma, explains a handheld scanner and computer analyzes images of skin lesions. One problem, the device has a high false-positive rate.

After reading the article come back to discuss your thoughts -

Would you rely on a machine or do you prefer human evaluation?

Elizabeth

dancer86442 responded:
Hello Elizabeth,

I saw a clip about this new device, on the News, last nite. I Would Try it/ depend on it, if it were available in My area. But, the report said they wouldn't be using them till 2012 & then Only in Top Notch? Hospitals. Starting in Florida?? Long Ways from Me, here in Az. Guess I will have to just rely on Human Observation, for a Long Time! Course on the Plus size, by that time Maybe they will have all the Kinks worked out.

Love Candi

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to dancer86442's response:
Hi Candi,

I have scheduled my skin exam and printed the article to show and ask my dermatologist about it.

In 2012 maybe I can give feedback since I am in Florida! Although, I have always been a "better safe than sorry" type of girl and have had quite a few lesions biopsied.

Elizabeth

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Font Size!
Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding Ctrl on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. Could be ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 28 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.