Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.
Treatment Dilemma
MomofWilliamskid posted:
I was diagnosed with metastatic melanoma skin cancer from a skin tag that was removed under my arm pit. I asked for a second lab opinion and it was sent to John Hopkins. The lab results came back that it was malignant melanoma but the evidence was inconclusive if it was metastatic or primary melanoma.

I then had all the standard blood tests, MRI scan of my brain, opthalmologist exam, PET Scan, and CT scan and no evidence of cancer was found.

I just had the surgery to remove the tissue around the original site. I must also say that a sentinel node biopsy could not be performed because I am a breast cancer survivor and a sentinel node biopsy was performed at the same location where the melanoma was found so radiation and scar tissue precludes another biopsy to be performed.

The labwork came back from the surgery and the tissue had no cancer in it. So still no evidence to say conclusively that this is metastatic or primary.

Here is my question....should I treat this with interferon chemo? What are the benefits and has anyone seen a case like mine?

Any opinions are welcome.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome MomofWilliamskid!

Wow, so many tests and still inconclusive, I am so sorry you are going through this!

I wanted to suggest also posting to our Breast Cancer Community . There is a group of marvelous, well informed women over there that may be able to offer advice and opinions.

Please keep us posted,
Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Font Size!
Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding Ctrl on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. Could be ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 28 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.