Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.
Stage III melanoma
captainsleepy posted:
I have a stage III melanoma and surgeon wants to remove lymph
nodes in left arm area. Has anyone out there had lymph nodes
removed and what were the side effects of this operation.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello and Welcome captainsleepy,

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. While waiting for possible member or expert response I wanted to pass along this information -

Lymph Node Removal for Melanoma
Lymph Node Biopsy

Please keep us posted and let us know your experience. Wishing you a comfortable recovery,
Elizabeth

MomofWilliamskid responded:
I have had a sentinel node biopsy. They removed 7 lymph nodes. The SEs can be lynphedema and/or cording. If they do a sentinel node biopsy your chances of getting lymphedema are reduced. Lymphedema is a swelling of the arm. Cording is just that...it feels like a giant cord is in your arm and it hurts to extend it or do other movements. I have had cording in my arm and an extremely mild case of lymphedema. Both went away with treatment. So no worrries. I am pretty much back to doing everything I used to do. Its been 2 years since my node removal.

vickijoys responded:
I had a sentinel lymph node removed in San Francisco, they sent me to a place in the city that uses a machine to define the closest lymph node to the site of the melanoma, so you only have to lose one lymph node for the diagnosis. This was through UCSF No side effects at all

Helpful Tips

Font Size!
Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding Ctrl on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. Could be ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 28 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.