Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.
Melanoma on hand - a follow up
millicentbash posted:
I've posted before about the removal of the melanoma on the top of my left hand. The MOHS procedure removed a large area of skin and the split skin graft from my thigh has healed to about the size of a fifty cent piece. It all went very well.

I specifically had the graft because the dermatologist didn't want to close it up and impair my range of motion. Unfortunately, it turns out I have carpal bossing on the top of my wrist so the tendon glide she wanted to preserve is impaired. I can't bend my middle and ring fingers back very far but it is a small price to pay for having the melanoma gone there. I had the graft surgery at a major teaching hospital in Virginia that was performed by the head of the hand surgery unit. I don't know if I can name the doctor or hospital so I'll not do that. I was extremely happy with both the surgery experience and the post op care.

I have a follow up question. I am a very fair person who does not tan and I am not out in the sun very often. Although I'm 64, I have very few age spots on my hands which is why the melanoma stood out and why I had it checked.

I take 2000 international units of Vitamin D-3 every day because my vitamin D levels were very low. I understand that in other cancers that you want to stay away from certain hormones so as not to encourage recurrence of the cancer. I started this vitamin regimen about a year before the melanoma was diagnosed.

It suddenly occurred to me that maybe the Vitamin D-3 could have triggered the melanoma. Has there ever been any studies on this as there have been studies on hormones etc. that can't be taken after breast cancer or ovarian cancer? Has the safety for people who have had melanomas taking D-3 ever been studied?

Helpful Tips

Font Size!
Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding Ctrl on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. Could be ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 28 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.