Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.
Includes Expert Content
Possibly of being diagnosed with other cancers
kanelson612 posted:
I was just diagnosed with Basel cell skin cancer on my face. What is the chance I could get any other cancers even those not related to skin.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and Welcome kandelson612,

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Hopefully you have had treatment and are on the mend.

This resource, Skin Cancer Nonmelanoma , may be helpful. Although to specifically address your personal cancer risk please talk with your doctors.

Have you had a complete body check? Were any other suspicious areas found?

Elizabeth

Skin Cancer Foundation
Michael W Steppie, MD responded:
Having any form of cancer does somewhat increase your risk of developing other forms of cancer, and having any form of skin cancer significantly increases your risk of developing other skin cancers. However, just because you were diagnosed with a basal cell carcinoma (BCC) does not necessarily mean that you will develop another form of cancer. Often other cancers have very different causes and risk factors.

These other risk factors can be chemicals/environment, food, genetics, hormones, infectious agents, radiation, and/or sunlight. All of these factors should be taken into consideration. Examine your skin head to toe monthly, regularly see a dermatologist or other skin expert, and remember to use daily sun protection, including clothing, UV-blocking sunglasses, shade, and SPF 15 or higher sunscreen.

Follow-up skin exams are especially important for people with BCC because they are quite likely to develop new or recurrent BCCs within 5 years of the first one. Early detection and prevention are key.

Helpful Tips

Font Size!
Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding Ctrl on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. Could be ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 28 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.