Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.
Melanoma on scalp
cryn67 posted:
Hi,
I am new here and am trying to seek some answers. My mother just had a melanoma removed from her scalp. It was sent for biopsy and she was sent for a full body scan. The results of the scan showed a small spot on her lower left lung. She is not and never has been a smoker. As of now, it it assumed that it is related to the melanoma. She needs to have a needle biopsy of the lung. I guess I am just wondering what this could all mean. We just found this out today and I have lots of questions mixed with fears.

millicentbash responded:
Hello,

I have posted here before because I had a melanoma removed from the top of my hand,

It sounds like your mom's melanoma may have been found to have gone deep. My melanoma was noticed by me when the spot on my hand raised up. So along with the regular MOHS biopsy of the edges, they had to biopsy the underneath part of the melanoma to see how "deep" it had gone. Fortunately for me, it was not very invasive so I did not have to have any scans or lymph node biopsies.

Melanomas can occur both inside and externally. And the cells can spread from the external to internal parts of the body. My doctor asked me just the other day if I was experiencing any internal new pains just to check and see if anything more needed to be surveyed.

Take heart because the spot on your mother's lung may be totally unrelated to the melanoma on her scalp. I've known other people who have had spots seen on their lungs and had needle biopsies and often they were just benign abnormalities. The needle biopsy will be tested for various types of abnormalities including melanoma. I know how scary this is. I found that taking it one day at a time after I was diagnosed really did help. And I am a fearful person by nature.

If you want to see the surgery on my hand for melanoma, you can go to www.istockphoto.com/lissart My sister in law is a professional photographer and she was allowed in to do the photos. The skin graft surgery was done later under general anesthesia and no photos were taken then.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that your mother's melanoma was in situ on her scalp and that the lung abnormality is no way related. Please keep in touch here.

cryn67 replied to millicentbash's response:
Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate you taking time to respond. Your response has eased my fears greatly. I have not been able to get to any of my mom's appoinments to ask questions myself. She is going to schedule her biopsy tomorrow and my sister is going to be with her when it is done. She is a court reporter and has sat in on many many medical depositions so will really be able to ask the right questions. I hope that you continue to remain healthy as well. I will continue to post when we know more. Thanks again!

millicentbash replied to cryn67's response:
You are so welcome. I often check this board so please let us know what the results are. This site helped me a lot and I hope to be able to help others who have to face this.

merc01 responded:
HI MY NAME IS TERRY, I HAVE MELANOMA. IT WAS IN MY LYMPTH NODES. MY ADVISE FROM WHAT I HAVE LEARNED SO FAR IS GET THINGS DONE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. THIS IS VERY AGRESSIVE AND VERY SERIOUS. THEIR ARE SOME NEW TREATMENTS OUT NOW THAT YOU SHOULD TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT. I AM IN A CLINICAL TRIAL NOW MYSELF AND HAVE NOT HAD A RECURRENCE YET BUT FROM I HAVE LEARNED IT IS MOST LIKELY TO HAPPEN THAN NOT. I AM NOT WANTING TO SCARE YOU PUT THE QUICKER YOU GET HELP THE BETTER YOUR CHANCES ARE OF SURVIVAL. GOOD LUCK TO YOUR AND YOUR FAMILY

111chris responded:
I had a very deep melanoma w/ bad prognosis. In addition to surgery, I used fermented wheat germ called AVE everyday.
You can research it on the internet, has been in clicical trials, is foodstuff and totally safe. Please consider because metastatic melanoma is very serious. I am 15 years out from metastatic melanoma.

My mother's needle biopsy on the lung did come back as showing cancer cells. She did meet with a cancer doctor last week before the results were back and felt very confident in his abilities and care. She is going back to him on March 12 to discuss treatment options. We are taking it one day at a time and she is in good spirits. Hopefully, the cancer is only in beginning stages.

millicentbash replied to cryn67's response:
Thank you for letting me know, cryn67. May I ask how old your mom is?

I am sorry to hear that the lung biopsy was positive for cancer cells. After having a melanoma myself, I do think about that possibility. It does sound like your mom is getting timely care and consideration and not having to wait too long. That is a good thing, believe me.

Please keep me posted. I check back often. This is a great resource for people and loved ones to use.

My mom is 74, and in good health otherwise. In fact, she and my dad are up at 4 every day and go to the local Community Center to walk the track and work out. So I am hoping that will work in her favor.

ashleyonline responded:
Istockphoto online coupons are very rare to. Shoppingspout is offering Istockphoto online coupons and promo codes.

Helpful Tips

Living with Cancer
From personal experience, my first year, like yours, has been difficult at times. I have been treated for prostate cancer, and I will not ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.