Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.
Melanoma on the face
surfing0617 posted:
I spent my life frying. About 17 years ago I had an invasive squamous cell carcinoma removed from the end of my nose. I have avoided the sun since then, and use moisture cream with sunscreen.
Now I've been diagnosed with a melanoma on my forehead. The Dr. is recommending a cream since he said the melanoma is just in the epidermis and it is on my face, instead of surgery. He said cream 3 times week for 90 days. I'm thinking I'd rather have it removed with surgery and live with the scar. I am 68 years old. Would love an opinion.

millicentbash responded:
I'm 64 and had a melanoma removed from my left hand. I asked if I could use cream or something else besides surgery and my doctor said no.

I would suggest that you get a second opinion. Personally, I am not aware of any cream that can remove a melanoma. I could be wrong about that but when I asked my doctor about my hand and using a nonsurgical removal she said that was not a good idea. Perhaps there is something new on the market that I'm not aware of but in any case I would still get a second opinion.

surfing0617 replied to millicentbash's response:
Thank you. I totally agree and had the surgery. I have about a 2" scar, but it is healing nicely and probably won't be real noticeable when it is all healed.

millicentbash replied to surfing0617's response:
Good deal! Yes, a scar can be bothersome but it will heal and will fade away. As I've aged, scars on my face are now "disguised" as wrinkles. Best of luck to you. And remember to get your skin screening done several times a year!

surfing0617 replied to millicentbash's response:
I already have the wrinkles to help hide my scars, including the one on my nose from a previous surgery. My skin screening is now going to be every 90 days. Thank you for your encouragement.

Helpful Tips

Font Size!
Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding Ctrl on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. Could be ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 28 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.