Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.
Think I have solar keratosis - what should I do?
EleanorAnne posted:
At my yearly exam I asked my doctor to look at a spot on the top of my ear. She thinks it might be solar keratosis.

It's a hard, white, small area that I can't "pick" off.

I am unable to get into a dermatologist until June. What do I need to know or what should I do until I see the doctor if it is solar keratosis?

I'm concerned, thanks.

EleanorAnne responded:
I wanted to follow-up to let you know what happened and to make sure others know to follow-up on any spots or areas that are unusual or out of the ordinary.

My doctor called and was able to get me an earlier appointment. I had the spot removed and the biopsy report came back Actinic Keratotis with unclear margins.

Tomorrow I return to have the area treated with liquid nitrogen.

This appeared quickly, I had not noticed it for months or years, just a few weeks. Please do not neglect a suspicious area.

longduckdong46 replied to EleanorAnne's response:
I agree EleanorAnne the sooner you get it checked the better.

I have annual skin checks and generally the dermatoligist always finds one or two of these pre cancers and treats them on the spot.
I have read that most turn out benign however they can develop into a more serious form of skin cancer with time.

Speaking of wich I am almost due for another check and this time I know I have another spot that needs treated.
Sometimes it can be frustrating getting in to my dermatologist because it takes so long, and I believe that most of these type of practices are booming with business due to the awareness of skin cancer in general ?

Helpful Tips

Living with Cancer
From personal experience, my first year, like yours, has been difficult at times. I have been treated for prostate cancer, and I will not ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.