Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.
Skin Cancer & Beyond the MOHS Treatment
schatzbell posted:
I had MOHS surgery a year ago for a diagnosis of Infiltrative Basal Cell Carcinoma. My dermatologist said with the "infiltrative" part, that meant the skin cancer was a little more fragmented and could possibly require a more extensive MOHS treatment. Glad to say the MOHS went well, and the scar is virtually non-visible.

Forward one year: I'm going on a vacation to FL in a week or so (it's May 1st), and I fully realize how well I need to use the right kind of sun protection (UVA and UVB, I believe ?) ... I even found a sun hat that boasts a 50SPF factor embedded into the material.

But I like to wear foundation, so my question is, after I've applied a suitable sun protection to my face, will wearing a foundation over that lessen the strength or ability of the sun protection to do its job? I know you can't "add up" SPFs (for ex., a facial moisturizer with a 15 SPF, then applying a 25 SPF sunscreen doesn't mean I have 40 SPF working). I also know some foundations have limited SPF, so I think my best protection is going to be a good facial sunscreen first, then the foundation - am I on the right track?

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi schatzbell -

You may already be in Florida and I hope enjoying the sun and fun!

You are on the right track, put sunscreen on first then foundation. I also thought you would be interested in these new articles regarding sunscreen -

New Sunscreen Guide: 1 in 4 Products Deemed Safe
Sunscreen Safety: What to Know

Please let us know about your vaca and how your skin fared,
Elizabeth

schatzbell replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hello, Elizabeth. Thank you so much for your reply ... and yes, I was in FL when you replied, so I'm just now checking into my earlier question. I did apply the sunscreen (a Neutrogena 55 spf) before applying foundation, and I didn't get a bit of burning on my face (although I also wore a sun hat made of canvas that was evidently infused with a 50 spf factor itself). So long story short, if it's not too late for that, I didn't burn at all, so I and my skin stayed safe in the sun, and still had fun.

Helpful Tips

Font Size!
Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding Ctrl on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. Could be ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 28 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.