Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.
Melanoma with no visible markers
millicentbash posted:
I've posted here before about the melanoma removed from my hand, Mohs procedure, skin graft, and then the carac cream treatment for my face.

All went well. My face really was a wreck but it looks just fine now.

So I thought I was finished with this for a while. However, this evening I noticed a lump on the palm of my hand that is just opposite where the melanoma was removed on the top of my hand.

Ugh. I'm hoping it's just a ganglion or something simple. Just 'venting' here... like they say... it's always something.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Millicent -

Good to hear from you again, but drats, another area!!!!!

Let us know what you found out and how you are doing. Venting is always OK and welcome!

Best,
Elizabeth

millicentbash replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks Elizabeth. I am taking no chances with this new thing on my skin grafted hand. I see the hand surgeon next week. From speaking to the resident there on the phone, and telling him what it looks like, it could be Dupuytren's contracture. I'll know next week. Trauma can sometimes trigger Dupuytren's and what my poor hand went through could certainly count as trauma.

Never thought I'd be hoping for an autoimmune disorder diagnosis but after the melanoma diagnosis, Dupuytren's would be a welcome diagnosis. What is weird is that the lump and the developing cords are by my index and middle fingers instead of my ring finger and pinkie where Dupuytren's most often happens. Then again, the index and middle finger were most affected by the skin graft surgery. Anyway... when I find out, I'll let you know. There may be someone someday who has the same thing and would read this.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to millicentbash's response:
Hi Millicent -

Just in case you haven't seen this, Dupuytren's Contracture: What You Need to Know , is a great resource.

It may spark some questions for your appointment next week.

Be sure to keep us posted,
Elizabeth

millicentbash replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you Elizabeth. I went to the hand center at Univ. of Virginia and saw the doctor who did the skin graft on my hand. Yes indeedy, it is Dupuytren's Contracture. Thank you for the links; I used the information while speaking to the doc. Thankfully, it is not related to the melanoma and he said that the 'trauma' of the surgery probably isn't related to the Dupuytren's showing up since I already have a nodule on the sole of one of my feet. I had totally forgotten about that, that it was a similar nodule. He asked me if either of my feet were affected and so when I realized it was, he said that my hand's Dupuytren's is just another manifestation of the hereditary disease. The UVa Hand Center is an amazing place and they have a lot of experience of using the 'nodule busting' enzyme stuff so when and if it contracts, I feel good that I have an established relationship with the 'top doc' there.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to millicentbash's response:
Hi Millicent -

Good to know you were able to see the "top doc", love it!

Thank goodness it is not related to the melanoma. Here's to no contracting!

Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Living with Cancer
From personal experience, my first year, like yours, has been difficult at times. I have been treated for prostate cancer, and I will not ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.