Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.
Zelboraf
Valeriana438 posted:
I'm hoping someone here has some insight into the side effects of Zelboraf. My husband has been taking 960mg twice daily for two weeks. After only two days of treatment he developed a sensitivity to sunlight (which I know is a common side effect). The problem is that even when he applies the sunblock and goes outside, after only 10 minutes he gets a sunburn. He is a landscaper and it's been extremely hard for him not to be outside. I would really appreciate any help or advice (other than him not going outside).

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Valeriana438 and Welcome -

I am sorry to hear your husband is having this reaction. Here are a couple of resources that may be helpful -

Drugs & Medications Center - Zelboraf Oral
Zelboraf May Double Survival Rate for Some Patients

Also, consider reporting side effects to the Food & Drug Administration. The more people that report side effects (from any medication) will help future variations and generations of drugs. FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Please keep us posted on how you guys are doing,
Elizabeth

Valeriana438 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
I thank you for your reply.

I have already done exhaustive research on the medication. I have also been in constant contact with an on-call registered nurse at Zelboraf. The nurses there report all side effects to the FDA. He is also registered with Zelboraf so a nurse calls periodically to check on him. I have also spoken with people at GenenTech (the manufacturer of Zelboraf). Since none of them are currently taking the medication they can only advise what to do based on what's been done in the clinical studies.

I asked the question because I was hoping that someone here had also taken Zelboraf and had been able to better handle the side effects.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to Valeriana438's response:
Hi Valeriana -

Hopefully others will see this discussion and pop in to offer their experience.

I wonder if his doctor can put you in touch with others in the practice taking this drug. I understand HIPPA laws, but if each patient gives consent to join a "support group" you could network to talk about side effects and advice.

Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Font Size!
Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding Ctrl on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. Could be ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 28 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.