Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.
All-Over Skin Check Question
wellnessmom4 posted:
Hi. How long should a good all-over skin check take by a dermatologist or P.A.? I have dozens of freckles, moles, and keratoses on my body (with new ones coming up all of the time it seems), so a few years ago I started getting an annual skin exam at the dermatologist's office. I've seen two different P.A.s there and with both of them it seems the exam is so cursory and quick that I wonder if it's even worthwhile. I would appreciate hearing from others on this board or especially from a professional in this field about what a good skin check should consist of. I may need to try another dermatologist's office, but I do like the practice and really have no idea if I'm getting a good exam there or not! Thanks...

longduckdong46 responded:
Well from my experience at least it depends on if you have ever been diagnosed with any form of skin cancer or not ? I have been diagnosed with skin cancer twice and I'm 47 years old.
After the first diagnosis and successful treatment the dermatologist suggested every six months and thats what I did, however since that was about ten years ago, now I only go for an annual check up.That was his recommendation.
As far as the speed of the skin check if your not satisfied try another practice or ask them to be more thorough to satisfy your uneasiness.

Helpful Tips

Living with Cancer
From personal experience, my first year, like yours, has been difficult at times. I have been treated for prostate cancer, and I will not ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.