Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.
shocked by diagnosis
cfnyc posted:
Hi everyone, it's my first time here. I'm a 35 year old mom of 2 little ones. I was caught completely off guard by a nurse's phone call yesterday that my biopsy was positive for malignant melanoma ... it was .19mm, and from what I've been reading that's "good." I went to the derm at a friend's suggestion to get a full body check. I never liked the looks of this particular spot on my calf, but no one seemed particularly concerned. I was just looking at the ABCDE and honestly it really doesn't fit with any of them. In the back of my head I'm thinking this is the wrong diagnosis. But I'm sure it's probably right. It was much darker than my other spots. The derm didn't even think it was going to be bad enough to even go get the edges cut off (clark's?) and it's melanoma? that's one of the reasons I was shocked. I'm worried about the other spots on my body now ...I'm not seeing another dr for another week and a half and I'm worried in the meantime. I would love them to re-read the slides and say, whoops we were wrong. Sorry. I'm olive skinned dark eyes/dark hair .... I feel like this is so rare it can't be right. Maybe I'm just in denial. Thanks for "hearing" me out!

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Cfnyc and Welcome -

I can not imagine the shock and disbelief from this phone call. I am so sorry to hear about this and having to wait over a week for more information. Your head must be spinning with questions.

Perhaps you can call and ask to sit down with the doctor to go over the results and get more information or call the other doctor and ask for a sooner appointment.

Please keep us posted about what you find out and we will be happy to research as much as possible for you. In the meantime, our Skin Cancer/Melanoma Health Center may answer some questions or spark others for your doctors.

Again, please keep us posted. Take Care,
Elizabeth

cfnyc replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks Elizabeth, I'm wondering if they will take lymph nodes. Do you know at what juncture that decision is made? I was under the impression that I would just have more cells taken from my leg and those tested, since it's so small. I'm concerned reading about this other stuff they do.

cfnyc responded:
I'm also having trouble understanding the path report ... too many words that I don't know, Lol .... even though I have looked them up it still sounds just like medical jargon and possible repetitive.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to cfnyc's response:
You are right, path reports can be so hard to understand and decipher!

Please double check with your doctor, but according to this information , lymph nodes are removed to see if it has spread to a lymph node or remove melanoma that has spread only to the lymph nodes.

Were you by any chance able to get an earlier appointment?

Elizabeth

cfnyc replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
no, the appt remains. They needed a week to review the slides. It's going to be a long week.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to cfnyc's response:
Talk here any time if it helps you get through this difficult week. And keep us updated.

(Elizabeth is away this week but I know will want to hear how you're doing once she returns.)

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi cfnyc -

Just checking in to see how you are doing and what you have found out.

I just noticed this blog, Help is Just a Phone Call Away , and thought I would share it.

Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Living with Cancer
From personal experience, my first year, like yours, has been difficult at times. I have been treated for prostate cancer, and I will not ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.