Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.
Ipilimumab
valeriana438 posted:
My husband has metastatic melanoma. The latest scan shows it's in both lungs, both kidneys and his liver. He also has over 100 skin mets. He has tried Temodar with radiation, when that didn't work he tried Zelboraf. Other than giving him massive side effects, it did nothing. Now he is on ipilimumab. He has had two out of four treatments. He has had new mets appear on his upper and lower abdomen as well as his lower back since starting the Ipi.
My question:
Since the melanoma has metastasized as much as it has, at what point does one determine whether or not the Ipi is working?

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Valeriana438 -

Wow, we are so sorry to hear what your husband is experiencing and can't imagine what your family is going through at this time.

You have a very good question and unfortunately it is impossible to answer without knowing much more about your husband.

Please print out what you wrote here. His care coordinator or nurse may be able to present this to his doctors so they can weigh the options (side effects vs prognosis vs quality of life) with both of you to determine the next step and series of steps of treatment.

Please keep us posted,
Elizabeth

valeriana438 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you for your reply Elizabeth. He sees his oncologist again this Friday. We'll post the question to him then and see what he says.

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Submit Melanoma/Skin Cancer Fighter
Know of someone going through melanoma or skin cancer? Let us help them! I am a melanoma survivor that recently started a cancer awareness ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.