Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.
Concurrent melanoma and sq cell ca
mark92014 posted:
I had a recent shave biopsy and the results were unusual. Path reported both melanoma in situ and squamous cell ca.
Any thoughts on the likelihood of such a simultaneous occurrence,? Also, the tentative plan is Mohs surgery. I have concern using Mohs when Melanoma frequently has non-contiguous micro-satellite lesions that would presumable be missed using the Mohs approach. Any thoughts?

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Mark -

I am so sorry to hear you have received these results.

Regarding the surgery, perhaps you could also ask for a slide to be prepared for the standard/usual processing and/or staining in pathology. Not sure if this is routinely done, but may be worth asking.

Where is the lesion located? Did you discuss traditional excision vs Mohs?

This info on Mohs may spark some additional questions.

Please check back in and let us know how you are doing,
Elizabeth

mark92014 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Lesion located ant. chest, R sternum. Mohs showed clear margins on first pass, but some atypia present. Plan anti-metabolite cream(5 FU ??) after surgical site heals; maybe in 3-4 months.
Permanent sections/slides were prepared, rather than reading wet specimen. Wound closed the following day. I think Dr. opted for Mohs because of location, bx report of "in situ", and my prior hx of melanoma in situ nearby.
So far, so good.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to mark92014's response:
Hi Mark -

So glad to hear this news! Thanks so much for following up!

We have a few members that have posted about using the anti-metabolite creams. I wonder if 5 FU refers to fluorouracil the generic name for the creams?

Continue to check back in to let us know how treatment is going,
Elizabeth

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Font Size!
Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding Ctrl on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. Could be ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 28 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.