Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.
Nervous Mom
An_247990 posted:
My seven year old daughter has a raised black spot on her abdomen. When it first showed up a little over a year ago, I was told by the doctor that it looked like a blood blister. It didn't go away, so I made her another appointment and covered it with a band aid with neosporin. After a few days of this, it all but went away, turning light pink and flattening out, so I canceled the appointment. Now it's back. This time I scheduled an appointment with a dermatologist, but they can't see her until December. She says that it doesn't hurt or itch, but should I be concerned enough to try to have her seen somewhere sooner?

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Mom -

Also, as a mom of 7 year old I can certainly understand your worry.

Since you are concerned please call the derms office to ask about cancellations. I can tell you from my days working in a private practice we would try our best to work in patients who called multiple times and were concerned.

In the meantime, check out these slideshows to see if anything looks familiar -

Common Childhood Skin Problems Slideshow
Adult Skin Problems Slideshow
Precancerous Skin Lesions & Skin Cancer Slideshow

Please check back in to let us know what you find out and if you are able to get in earlier.

Hoping you find answers soon,
Elizabeth

coclina responded:
yes i would ask to speak to a dr definetly dont wait try other offices its better to be sake then sorry lol i hope all goes well

slhouseal1980 responded:
Thanks for the slide shows. I didn't see anything that looks like what my daughter has, but I will definitely still have it checked out just to be safe. I'll call the derm on Monday to see if we can get in sooner.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to slhouseal1980's response:
Just checking back in to see if you were able to get an earlier appointment.

Elizabeth

slhouseal1980 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
I've been calling once a week, but still no luck. As of right now we're still on for December 4th.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to slhouseal1980's response:
Hi there -

Thanks for checking back in. Hoping for an earlier appointment for you.

Elizabeth

slhouseal1980 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
I was without a computer for a while, but I just wanted to give you an update. I took my doctor to the derm. They didn't seem super concerned, but said they think it's best to remove it just to be on the safe side. She's schedule for the end of February and very stressed out about it. She even flips out about getting a flu shot! I hope I can get her in there!

Helpful Tips

Living with Cancer
From personal experience, my first year, like yours, has been difficult at times. I have been treated for prostate cancer, and I will not ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.