Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.
Mohs Surgery on Face- Dermatologist Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon?
alisonlg posted:
Hello!

I am researching doctors to perform a Mohs surgery to remove a Basal Cell Carcinoma on my face. I would like feedback from anyone who has had this procedure done as to whether they simply went to a Dermatologist Surgeon, a Plastic Surgeon, or perhaps had a Dermatologist Surgeon perform the procedure and a Plastic Surgeon close.

If it wasn't a plastic surgeon, were you happy with the resulting appearance? Did you find that a Dermatologist Surgeon was properly trained in the reconstruction of the site? If you saw a Plastic Surgeon, was it difficult to find one that was trained in the Mohs surgery?

Thank you so much for your time and feedback.

melbank responded:
When I found out my first time, I wish I would have had time to do research. I didn't know any better and went with what my Dr said and what my insurance would do. I am soooo glad I have WONDERFUL insurance. I had Mohs done on a spot on my face and had to have reconstructive done. I ended up with 47 stitches in my face!!! And you would never know today and that was about 2.5 years ago. I had another round of Mohs done in the same area about a year ago. Had about 20 stitches and most people would never know! I am about ready to do another Mohs in the same area and I hope I am just as lucky!!

I would ask your plastic surgeon if he/she has pics of things they have done. When its a face you want to know you will look like you have always looked when done. I wish you the best!!!

sharonsparklies replied to melbank's response:
I just was diagnosed with a basel cell on my lip. I can't find a mohs surgeon who has any track record in Maryland. I'll go anywhere! My research into the before and after pictures is frightening me more. If anyone has a source to find top-rated mohs surgeons, I would be most grateful to get your help. If it was any other part of my body, it would not be a big deal, but it is my lip.Anxiety is at an all-time high, blood pressure going higher and I seem to be stuck. Help if you can. Most appreciative.

Helpful Tips

Font Size!
Don't forget you can increase your font size by hitting and holding Ctrl on your keyboard and the plus sign at the same time. Could be ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 28 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.