Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.
Confused
Anon_150102 posted:
So I am 24 years old and thus far I've been rather lucky about things. Many months ago I noticed this thing on my stomach. It wasn't very big (maybe the size of pen point) and it didn't look scary. It was skin tone colored (maybe a little darker then my skin because I am very pale) and puffy.

Anyway. About a week ago I noticed that it had grown and darkened. It was sore to touch and itchy. I made an appointment with my doctor right away scared to really think about it. The doctor poked it..made a 'oh crap' face and told me she'd refer me to a dermatologist. Doesn't give me a lot of comfort. But I found out it can take up to 2 weeks for a referral from her!

Today when I woke up I noticed that it had 'broken' and it is all bruised around the edges. Should I be worried? Does anyone know how to get the doctor to show more concern? Or am I just being paranoid

This is what it looked like when I first noticed it's change.

This is what it looks like currently

Steele_09 responded:
I was 26 when I found out I had melanoma. My mole was lager than yours but it turned black then started to bleed one day and no matter what I did it wouldnt heal. Based on my experience I would say that you want to get to a dermatologist as soon as you can.

sam1985 replied to Steele_09's response:
Visit your doctor immediately, it looks a little serious.

Helpful Tips

Submit Melanoma/Skin Cancer Fighter
Know of someone going through melanoma or skin cancer? Let us help them! I am a melanoma survivor that recently started a cancer awareness ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.