Includes Expert Content
Breast Cancer and vaginal moisturizers with estrogen
iriseye posted:
I am a breast cancer survivor still taking Arimidex and post-menopausal. I was using Replens (for vaginal dryness) when Replens suddenly disappeared from the shelves. Does anyone know what happened? Their website says it will be available again soon but does not explain why it has been gone for months. I started using "MeAgain" as a replacement and it was actually better. It does not state that it contains estrogen, but in the small print of the ingredients it includes "hops", a phytoestrogen. I find the packaging misleading and online sites do not explain that it contains a natural estrogen either. My oncologist says that it can be absorbed into the blood stream and I should not take it. I can't find any other product at my drug or grocery stores. Help!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Iriseye,
To the best of my knowledge, Replens should be back on the market soon. In the meanwhile, there are other things you could try. There is a product called Lubrin, which might help. Also some of the KY products state that they are longer lasting than the plain KY lubricant.
And if I find anything else about the Replens shortage, I'll post it,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

CRAY14 responded:
Hi iriseye,

I am also a Replens user and I found some information on their website that might be helpful to you:

"You may have noticed that it has become difficult to find Replens Long-Lasting Vaginal Moisturizer on your store shelf. Supplies have been low for this very popular product.

We've got great news - Replens in the 14 application package has been shipping! You should be able to find Replens Long Lasting Feminine Moisturizer on store shelves at the retailers listed below. As more retailers get Replens back on the shelf, this list will be updated, so feel free to check back for your favorite retailer".

There is also a list of retailers on the site that currently carry Replens as well as the option to sign up for an email update when your favorite retailer gets the product in. I hope this helps!

Heres the site: http://www.replens.com/outofstock/Default.aspx

Zadah replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I have been using Replens, however, I read that the methylparaben in it is not good. Also, my husband got grossed out because of the white "discharge" (I'll call it) that was a result of the product. I'm looking for sSomething, like all the rest of us, that is safe and works well. I tried ordering Yes vaginal moisturizer applicators but have not been able to get them. I do use their regular lubricant for sex and it works wonderfully well. Any ideas for where I can get it or other products?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to Zadah's response:
Dear Zadah,
Another product new to the American market is something called Hyalo Gyn-it is derived from hyaluronic acid, and some folks find it helpful
Good luck,
Mary Jane