Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
vaginal pain
wrestle posted:
I'm 49, and I have been having intense burning around my vaginal area, also itching, it also feels uncomfortable around my urethra. i do have a very thick clear mucaous discharge, clear after my periods. Been to get checked, no bacteria, Dr says did not check for yeast because no clumpy white discharge, gave me difulcan just in case, 3 doses, wich i took, it has been 5 days since, still very intense burning, it hurts so bad i can't take it anymore! I use vagicaine but it only helps for a short while, this seems to be a constant ongoing problem, any one else suffer with this, and what do you do, the pain and itch are unbearable, I have my annual pap on Tuesday, please if anyone can help me to ask the gynecologist what can be done. There are very few days without pain

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Wrestle,
This is difficult to evaluate without an exam-but I would bring up the question with your doc of vulvodynia? Another question that I would ask: have you tried any topical steroids on the area? Since you have your exam in a few days, you might just get a small tube of hydrocortisone cream over the counter, and try to apply it to the burning/itching area-then you can report to your doc if it helped.
Let us know what happens,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website