Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
elbows, knees and finger joints all hurt bad. menapause?
jbird55 posted:
HELLO TRIED EVERY THING HERE. BEEN TESTED MY ESTRADIOL LEVEL IS 19.0 , SO IN MENAPAUSE. NEGITIVE ON ANY RHEMUATIOD FACTORS.......
I WENT OFF BC PILLS AND LIPITOR LIKE 7 MONTHES AGO. I NOW FEEL LIKE IM 20 PLUS YEARS OLDER.
IVE TRIED TRILPLE FISH OILS , GLUCOSIMINES, PRIMROSE, BLACK COHASH.. DOUBLED UP ON ALL THE VITIMANS LIKE K AND D ....... HAVE BEEN USING PROGESTERINE CREME NOW, FOR LIKE A MONTH...... I STILL HURT..... AS WELL AS FEEL TIRED. IM 53. SHOULD I BE DOING ESTROGEN TOO, BOUGHT SOME CREME , BUT HESITANT TO TRY , DUE TO CONFUSED NOW, WITH ALL I READ , ABOUT MY BODY MIGHT HAVE TO MUCH ESTROGEN, NOT ENOUGH PROGESTERINE. MY CPROTIEN LEVEL IS 1.1 H MG/DL SO THAT MEANS IM INFLAMED RIGHT?????? IM PHYSICALLLY WEAKER TOO. MY FOLLICLE STIMULATING HORMONE IS 53.8 MIU/ML ANY IDEAS?????????// IM VERY UNCOMFORTABLE...... THANKS JENNY

Take the Poll

DO YOU HAVE JOINT PAIN WITH YOUR MENAPAUSE? WHY DID MY OB N ACT LIKE JOINT PAIN DIDNT EXSIST WITH MENAPAUSE?????????
  • 50% OF ALL WOMAN WITH MENAPAUSE HAVE JOINT PAIN.
  • ITS ALL IN YOUR HEAD
  • DRINK MORE ALCOHOL AND RELAX
vote
View Poll Results

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Jenny,

I am sorry you are in pain and hope you find relief soon. WebMD has some information on The Rheumatoid Health Center which talks about Menopause and RA

Many women on this community can identify with your pain and frustration. We all can share our experiences and try to help with advice and support. Feel free to post any questions you have and join in on our discussions. Please keep us updated.

Take care,

Lainey
Expect problems and eat them for breakfast! Alfred A. Montapert

jbird55 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
hi i tested negitive for all the ra things...... but have the severe joint pain....... ive been reading that about 50 %of all woman have it in menapause.......... im trying to find the right mix for how to stop it......... any ideas???????? what specific tests would be important for me to get still......?? any ideas???/// any particular brand the best for progesterine creme? estrogen creme?????????? thanks jen

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to jbird55's response:
Dear Jen,
Lots of women have achiness with menopause; in the Philippines, it is the number one complaint of menopausal women (way ahead of hot flashes!) Obviously, you should followup on whatever tests your primary care doctor suggests. However, what I usually recommend for my patients with significant achiness problems is to do a brief trial of estrogen therapy, for a couple of months (presuming they have no reasons that they cannot take it). If all their symptoms go away, then we have the answer for what is causing their problems; even if they don't want to stay on estrogen long term. Unfortunately, it would be unlikely that any progesterone creams would help. You could try some soy, or other phytoestrogens, which might be helpful. In general, if the achiness is truly menopausally related, the best therapy would be estrogen; you could use transdermal estrogens, which should work.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

justmejust responded:
Last year I started menopause and simultaneously had severe finger joint pain. My blood tests for Rheumatoid arthritis was negative like yours. My x-rays of my hands confirmed osteoarthritis and through hand therapy I was shown finger exercises that have helped with my pain.

My doctor never mentioned that menopause was the cause of my finger joint pain, so I suppose it was coincidental.

Hope you are finding some relief. It's no fun to be in pain. Oh, my finger joints are now bent slightly too and slightly knobby now. : (

jbird55 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
hi thanks for answering... im assuming you mean joint pain for the philippines woman.... i just saw some sort of dots viro dots or something with estrogen. is that what you mean about transdermal?? or lotion?/ if so what s the best kind for both actually.....ive got this estro 500 stuff i just got. dist by natural living...... it just doesnt seem normal for me , with this pain.. im a work horse..... ive been reading that vit d helps with inflamation too. like 5000 ml. what do you think about that. ??/ so progestrone cream is a waste of money you think???????? what about this doctor lee i think name that was one of founders of bio meds??? im getting so confused, and really cant afford to go specifically to a bio med doc..........thanks jen

jbird55 replied to justmejust's response:
hi thanks for answering..... gees my gyn didnt even tell me joint pain was an issue for this.. until i pushed it. ive been going to her for over 25 years..... i read on line about the joint pain/menapause.............. my fingers are just stiff..... no swelling or change in shape....... just tight to bend them.... my elbows and knees hurt to touch in certain places...... this whole menapause thing is not good.... im looking into eating a more inflamation free diet. have you checked out womanto woman .com i found that from ophra i figured she prob knew about this menapause thing.
jen

jbird55 replied to jbird55's response:
what is this c- reactive protien thing??/mine is 1.1 H
is that inflamation?????/// since in menapause?/ anything i should take or do about that?? jen

jbird55 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
mary jane, check this out, this is exactly why im so confused , can you explain this for me. ive never had any female parts removed, ive never had kids. my 61 yr old sister did have , what they thought at first was oviarian cancer , turned into peritoneal cancer , she died couple years ago... im totally confused, to do extrogen and progesterone ?/ it says you have to oppose it or something>>... jen Cancer Health Center Font size:
[a class="module_fontSizeOne font_size_selected">A [a class=module_fontSizeTwo>A [a class=module_fontSizeThree>A Share this:
Endometrial (Uterine) Cancer - What Increases Your Risk [a name=tm6529> The biggest risk factor for endometrial cancer is having too much estrogen and not enough progesterone . This is called "unopposed estrogen ." (Your body makes progesterone . Man-made progesterone, as in birth control pills or hormone therapy, is called a progestin .)
Long-term exposure to unopposed estrogen may occur as a result of:
  • Being obese .1 Fat cells make extra estrogen, but your body doesn't make extra progesterone to balance it out.
  • Taking estrogen without taking a progestin.
  • Polycystic ovary syndrome .
  • Beginning your menstrual cycle before age 12 or starting menopause after age 55.
  • Not ever being pregnant or not ever completing a full-term pregnancy (nulliparity).
  • Not ever breast-feeding.
Additional factors that increase your risk include:
  • Being older than 50. Endometrial cancer is most common in women older than 50.
  • Having a history of breast , ovarian , or colon cancer .
  • Taking tamoxifen , a breast cancer treatment that acts like estrogen in the uterus.1 If you are taking tamoxifen for breast cancer , keep taking it as directed by your doctor. But be sure to have a pelvic exam each year. The risk of endometrial cancer is small compared to the risk of getting breast cancer again.5 If you are worried about endometrial cancer risk, talk to your doctor. You might be able to use another medicine, instead of tamoxifen, for breast cancer.
  • Having endometrial hyperplasia .
  • Having diabetes .
  • Having hypertension .
  • Having previous radiation therapy to the pelvis.
Endometrial cancer has been linked to hereditary nonpolyposis colon cancer (HNPCC) . In women, this cancer often starts in the uterus and ovaries before it grows in the colon . The American Cancer Society recommends that a woman with a family history of HNPCC talk to her doctor about annual screenings with endometrial biopsy , starting at age 35.6
Reducing your riskThere are some measures that can lower your risk for developing endometrial cancer.
  • Taking birth control pills that contain both estrogen and progestin for longer than 1 year. Similarly, taking estrogen with progestin for menopausal symptoms lowers your endometrial cancer risk. (You have no risk for endometrial cancer if you have had your uterus removed, or hysterectomy .)
  • Staying at a healthy body weight.
  • Being physically active.
  • Eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and fiber.
  • Lowering the amount of animal fats you eat.

EvHMarie responded:
I noticed elbow and knee pain immediately after stopping hormone replacement (BC pill). I am very active and have played tennis and golf most of my life with no pain. All of a sudden I have tennis/golf elbow symptoms (tendinitous) that make it difficult to be active. Sad.

jbird55 replied to EvHMarie's response:
so have you tried anything yet?????? the progesterone cream gives a little help for a short while with the aches. other than that, menthol heat rub.and asprin..
beer helps too........
ive tried alot of things. increased all the vitimans.. k, d,
taking the glucosmine, and triple fish oil.
trying the black cohash, primrose.
if you find anything that works , please let me know... jendid your fingers get stiff in morn too.????

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website