Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Is It Too Late For Me ?
luna55 posted:
I started going through menopause about 10 years ago, I am now 55yrs. I did not take any Hormone Replacement therapy for the first 5 years. Then when I went to the doctor she said it was too late for HRTs. She said that my vagina had atrophied and put me on a small dose of Premarin vaginal cream. This doesn't seem to help at all. Intercourse is too painful so I don't even try anymore. Is there anything else I can do or take that would help me be able to have intercourse after all this time? I should also mention that I have absolutely NO sexual desire. I am married and as you can imagine it does not help our relationship. I have read about Macafem and other herbal supplements but I guess my main question is, will those help me or is it too late for me?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Luna,
It's never to late to help anyone! If your doc doesn't feel that she could prescribe hormonal therapy for you, you may want to consult with a certified menopause practitioner (find this list on the North American Menopause Society's website, menopause.org)-some women will benefit by a short course of systemic estrogen, sort of to "prime the pump" for vaginal estrogen-and after a few months of both systemic and topical, you may get relief by sticking with the vaginal estrogens. The risk of low dose systemic transdermal (patches or gels) estrogen is very small, for most basically healthy women. Most of the herbal supplements won't do much for vaginal dryness; there, of non hormonal meds, you'll probably do best with something like Replens. But again, a brief course of systemic therapy will probably help your vaginal tissue. At that point, you can discuss whether or not you want to continue with systemic therapy (like a patch or gel) with your provider.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

pebbles48 responded:
I started macafem 30 days ago and my sex drive has increased tremendously. Too bad I am not sexually active with a partner at this time and haven't been for 6 yrs. I started my periods regularly again which is like the fountain of youth. Your never too old to feel like a woman or beautiful and I highly recommend macafem. It may not work for everybody but I am 48 yrs old and I feel like I am in my 30's and I am no longer bloated or have weight gain.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website