Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Going Loco!:-/
scarlett1611 posted:
I'm only "47", I think I've been going through perimenopause for the past "8+" years. My mother started perimenopayse in her early 30's. Lately, my symptoms have hit a "peak!" I feel as though there is a MONSTER living inside me!:-( I have always been a happy-go-lucky person, but now, I don't know if I'm coming or going. I isolate myself, find myself crying over the most trivial things, am depressed, don't want to do anything anymore like I used to, etc. I get irritated at the littlest things and gahd forbid if someone pushes my buttons, cuts me off while driving, or is rude to me...LOOK OUT! Gahd, I hate this side of me that I had no idea ever lurked within the depths of my soul. I just went to my OB-GYN and asked him to "gut me" of all my female organs...anything to rid me of this monster! Wah!!!!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Scarlett,
I don't think you need major surgery! Are you a candidate for low dose birth control pills? (ie, not a smoker, and in good health?)-if you are, you might want to try them for a couple of months, to see if they help-they will regulate your hormones, and keep them level-
Of course, one can develop depression at any time, too-but I'd look to the pill for a bit-and if it helps some of the ups and downs, but not the depression sort of symptoms, you can take anti-depressant meds and birth control pills, if needed-but I doubt that you'll need surgery-
Good luck,
Mary Jane

mawillis58 responded:
judging from my own experience, i'd say DON'T have surgery unless it's a last resort! i had to have a total hysterectomy when i was 32 because of a fibroid tumer the size of a grapefruit and it was instant menopause. listen to mary jane and try the meds. give them time to work and if you don't get relief have your dr try something different.
best wishes, i know what you're going through.

scarlett1611 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for your response. I'm not a smoker...never have been. I tried low dose birth control pills, but they didn't do much good. I'm taking a lot of meds now and probably need something stronger. I have epilepsy, basilar migraines and regular migraines. Now...this! Grrrrrr!:-/ My OB doctor is going to try me on estrogen for a year, although he's a little skeptical because of the basilar migraines and their close relation to strokes. You know, doc...I don't know which is worse...living with a monster or the stroke. I know that's a horrible thing to say, but what I'm going through is literally, HELL on earth! Thank you again for your advice.:-)

scarlett1611 replied to mawillis58's response:
I'm sorry to hear about what you had to go through. I can't even imagine. I do appreciate you understanding what I'm going through....none of my younger friends do. They don't understand my "transformation.":-/ Honestly, I don't either. It's pretty scary. Sometimes I feel like I don't even know who I am anymore.:-( When does this end???... Oh God, please tell me it does... Thank you again. My Best...:-)

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to scarlett1611's response:
Dear Scarlett,
For women who do experience some cognitive changes with perimenopause, the good news is that research has shown that they do tend to get better the farther out from menopause you go. So yes, it does tend to get better-
Good luck,
Mary Jane

someonewhocares3 responded:
Most women going through perimenopause experience a lot of these symptoms. But they almost always resolve after your hormones "settle down" and aren't fluctuating wildly. I can say from experience that being "gutted" is NOT the solution. It will only make those symptoms last much longer and possibly be permanent.

Staying intact cannot be overstated. It's essential to your physical, mental, emotional, and sexual health. Within just 5 months of being gutted, I aged 10-15 years despite being on an estrogen patch (major hair loss, texture changes, graying, thinning skin, collagen loss, muscle wasting),...HRT is crude at best in furnishing the hormones our ovaries produced on their own. In an intact woman, the ovaries produce hormones her enire life.

The uterus isn't useless either - it keeps your bladder and bowel in place so they don't prolapse into your vagina and/or cause incontinence. Without the uterus, your spine will compress (due to the 4 sets of severed ligaments) causing a "Buddha" belly and back, hip, and leg pain and/or tingling.

Depression - Dr. Susan Love has stated that 30-50% (and others estimate it to be 70%) of women suffer from depression after hysterectomy. For some, it's short-lived but for many it becomes a chronic state.

Hang on to your organs!

glynnsmith replied to someonewhocares3's response:
I'm laughing to myself because I have the same issues. I just thought something very appropriate...You probably remember the book, "Dear God, It's Me Margaret"? The author needs to write a sequel, "Dear God, It's Me Margaret Again, 40 Years Later!"

EddieMissy replied to glynnsmith's response:
I would love to see that book!!

Melovely1 replied to glynnsmith's response:
I remember that book and yes she should write a sequel. I had surgery two years ago and now I am perimenopausal at 37 years old. Because of my hormone changes, I now get bacterial vaginosis regularly, which is a nightmare. My OBGYN thinks that if I start on birth control pills, the hormones will get normal and stop the infections. My issue is that birth control pills can lower libido and I just started having sex at 35 and want to continue. Dont really know what to do. But that is a whole other issue.

Unejj replied to scarlett1611's response:
Hormones adapted to the individual, plant based, and need the final ok as a prescription from a doctor worked for me for 12 years and are still working to some extent although a lowered stress level may be causing me to need a reduced prescription. I am now 65 yrs of age and still taking them in the reduced prescription. I used a local compounding pharmacy but when that pharmacy went out of business in the small city where I live, I had to order the prescription from a pharmacy in Columbus, Ohio. There is also a pharmacy later recommended by my first compounding pharmacist called "The Medicine Shoppe (Shop?)" in Lancaster, Ohio. The Medicine Shoppe is a chain across the US and information can be obtained on the web. There are many other compounding pharmacies. The down fall has been that my insurance does not cover very much of the cost of the compounded script. Good luck.

Unejj replied to glynnsmith's response:
Amen!!

Mahlia52 responded:
Scarlett

I really feel for you, I do. I suffered for at least 10yrs with the same thing. I was angry most of the time. The things I use to love I started hating, I was depressed, crying a lot. My health was getting so bad that if I got up set or angry I would end up in bed for 3 days. I couldn't even do something as simple as go to Disneyland with my family. I would end up ill. But when I became suicidal I finally got help. But it has been a long road back. I had to retire early from a good paying job. It was to much stress even with the anti-depressants, I had to learn how to react a whole different way to stressful things. I insulate myself from things that upset me. Your body and brain have to have time to heal once you get away from the stress. I have done a lot of research. What I discovered that when our hormones become out of balance because of menopause it is like a viscous cycle. It leads to us developing the mental issues, like unreasonable anger, which in turn leads to more physical issues. There is something that is being considered now by some doctors, it's called Adrenal Fatigue, you might want to read up on it. I am still on anti-depressants and I am taking a low dose hormones. I have improved soooo much. But it has taken time. It has been 2yrs since I retired. I went to Disneyland with my kids and grandkids 2 weeks ago. I didn't even get sick. The last time I went was 7yrs ago. I got so sick I could hardly make it to the doctors, they had my husband come and get me because I couldn't drive home. I had bronchitis and lyringitis, I couldn't get out of bed for a week. I have had a lot of aches and pains too. But I won't get into that I just want you to know there is hope, so keep trying.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website