Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Beauty Tips for Menopause
Annie_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hi Everyone!

I used to moderate the Skin and Beauty Community board and skin care issues are a passion of mine since I suffered from acne as a teenager until my 40s.

I'm in menopause just like many of you here and one thing that I notice is that perimenopause and menopause can make me feel less feminine. So I want to start a beauty tips discussion to deal with menopause. If you are dealing with facial hair, thinning hair, age spots, or a meno-pot like I am, share your tips with your fellow meno-goddesses here! Feel free to discuss any beauty issues you have — they don't have to be about menopause either. Do you have favorite makeup and skin care lines to deal with aging skin? If you have fashion advice to deal with a baby boomer body, share it here too!

So here is my first tip for dealing with a meno-pot and it is high waisted shape wear. Try high rise panties to smooth out and hold in everything from your bottom to just underneath your bra. Regular underwear can cut you in half, especially if your midsection is getting thicker. I suggest trying these on before buying as many stores will not accept underwear returns. I found I had to go up a size or two in them to make them fit well so that the waistband won't roll up or roll down. Try double layering them for extra holding power!

So please add on to this discussion, I want to hear from you all!

- Annie

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Doesn't anyone here want to talk about beauty?

One of my favorite beauty gurus is Paula Begoun. She is a book author and beauty expert that dishes no nonsense information about beauty products. Her books are fun and easy to read. I recommend her books Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me and her 8th edition of her Beauty Bible.

She also has a weekly Blogtalk radio show and lots of her topics are aimed at women like her, baby boomers in menopause. She recently had one show where she was discussing that she uses Asian fans to deal with hot flashes because she's not a candidate for hormone therapy due to a family history of breast cancer. I think that's a pretty neat idea!

If you want to listen to Paula Begoun's archived Blogtalk Radio webcasts -- there's at least a years worth -- here is the link to her Blogtalk Radio page:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cosmeticscop .

(This is a non WebMD link and clicking on it will take you off the WebMD web site.)

Are there any beauty, fashion, or menopause books or other media that you would love to share with your fellow community members here?

- Annie

Maybe you were lucky and had clear skin as a teen and young adult, but you had those monthly breakouts. Now along comes perimenopause and you've found yourself breaking out along your chin and jawline. Sound familiar? So what can you do about it?

WebMD has an Acne Health Center including Adult Acne: Why You Get It, How to Fight It and You Asked! Expert A's to Your Beauty Q's: Aging Skin and Acne to help you get clearer skin.

Try OTC acne medications that contain salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, or topical sulfur first. If they don't work well for you or if your acne is getting worse, please see a dermatologist for help because you may need topical or oral prescription medications.

Some dermatologists have long waiting times to get in so you may want to book sooner rather than later especially if you have a special event coming up like a graduation, wedding, or school reunion.

If you have tips for your community members to clear up their skin, please share them here!

- Annie

Today's Diagnosis Reality Check blog topic is one that I think all the women here can identify with:

Vanity Sizing: What's Your TRUE Size?

Whether you are a size 2 or a size 20, sizing in clothing is not consistent and a lot of retailers will use "vanity" sizing in women's clothes in order to sell more clothing.

So how do you as a consumer navigate purchasing clothing when sizing is not consistent? You need to look at the garment measurements and factor in garment ease. Take well fitting clothing you already own and take a measuring tape and measure them across the bust, waist, and hips to see how they fit you -- this is important if you are buying off of a catalog or the internet where you cannot try on clothing first.

When shopping at a bricks and mortar store, pick the size you think you are, and try on a size up and a size down, especially when you are trying on jeans. If you dislike the size label, do what I do; remove it after you've bought it! Size doesn't matter, but fit always does.

One book that I think you will like that discusses vanity sizing is How Not To Look Old by Charla Krupp. On page 125 of her book she writes about a size 8 fit model trying on clothing in various retailers and the fit model wore a size 4 to a size 10 depending on the retailer. The moral of the story is, get the fit right and ignore the size label!

- Annie

Do you color your own hair? If you do color your hair like I do or if you are thinking of coloring your hair, take this fun quiz: Test Your Hair Coloring Know-How and tell us how you did!

I got a 76% score. I had to chuckle at one question about how often you should space your hair colorings in order to lessen the damage to your hair and the answer was about a month apart. I wish I could go so long without doing a root touch-up but I would look like a skunk if I went that long because my hair grows fast and I'm covering gray roots. So I'm hitting the bottle (hair dye bottle that is) every week to 10 days!

How about you? Do you have any hair coloring stories you want to share here?

- Annie

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website