Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Six months no period
toy58 posted:
I am 52 yrs old. My last regular period was Oct. 2010.I was told by my gyn, after my perlvic exam in Nov. 2010, that I would not have any more periods. Well today i got my period with clots. Leading up to this day I had all of the symptoms for a period, sore breasts, cramps,bloating. When will this end! For six months nothing, now I have to start counting all over again.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Toy58,
Alas, I am sorry to let you know that we need to have you start counting all over! I'm not sure how your gyn decided you would not get any more periods; until you go a full year without a period, you are not fully menopausal. And to be honest, we do occasionally see women who get full fledged periods even after that year; but you should report any bleeding that occurs after one year to your gyn, since the bleeding may not indeed by a period, but some abnormality in the lining of your uterus.
So we rule out any abnormalities, and are often left with the diagnosis of "gee, I guess you had a period!". If you do start running into heavy bleeding every few months, do talk to your gynecologist. Sometimes we will administer progesterone periodically, to sort of clean out the uterus, and prevent heavy bleeding. I hope that for your sake, this was the final bleeding event!
Good luck,
Mary Jane

ineedascreenname replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Funny you are having this discussion because I registered today specifically to ask a question about this. I have not had a cycle for two years, that is until today. Woke up with a full-fledged period. Is it normal to hav e a period after menopause?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to ineedascreenname's response:
Dear ineedascreenname,
As you noted above, periods can happen-even after two years. However, just to be on the safe side, most of us gyn folks do evaluate the lining of the uterus, just to make sure nothing bad is lurking in there-we will use either ultrasound, or endometrial biopsy, to see what's in there. And indeed, there well may be nothing abnormal-and this is just a period-but we like to check it out-
Good luck,
Mary Jane

hello2478 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I also logged in today to ask the same question.
I am 56 yrs olds and have not had a period for 4 yrs. ,my last period 4 yrs ago showed up 2 yrs after I stopped bleeding. So 2 light periods in 6 yrs now. I am just staining but had all the symptomes, tender breast, overies aching, fluid retention, then today light bleeding. I feel great and have no female problems to my knowledge. I am wondering is this normal and can I get pregnant?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to hello2478's response:
Dear Hello2478,
Pregnancy would be extremely unlikely in this scenario; so don't worry about it. It indeed sounds like your ovaries woke up with a big hurrah-nonetheless, I would check in with your health care provider, just to rule out something odd in the lining of your uterus (in this scenario, a transvaginal ultrasound would be quite reasonable to look at the lining)-just to make sure.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

9554073 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I have polycystic Overian Disease and too haven't had my cycle in over 3 years. I started the other day and did have a hheavy flow with clotting, but now its seems to be lightening up. Prior to getting the cycle I had terrible cramping..felt like I was ovulating..should I worry? I'm 49

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to 9554073's response:
Dear 9554073,
I don't want you worrying, but I do want you checking in with your health care provider. Of course, polycystic ovarian syndrome can make you miss periods, too-so we don't know how much of your not getting periods was related to PCOS or to perimenopause. And sometimes women with polycystic ovaries can develop an overgrowth in the lining of the uterus, if it hangs around in the uterus too long-so given what you've told me, I'd probably recommend doing a sampling-biopsy-of the lining of your uterus, just to make sure there wasn't any hyperplasia, or overgrowth, in there.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

scorekeeper2011 responded:
Well I am glad to see that this is not an unusual situation.
I am 55 and my last regualr period was Feb 2010. In the last 36 hours I have had a full fledged period, with clots and was wondering the same question. Friends had said, 13 months and it is basically done, lol. Will this run the full cycle? Do I now have to start calculating all over? Will I need to be prepared for next month again? What would cause it to suddenly return?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to scorekeeper2011's response:
Dear Scorekeeper2011,
As you have read in other responses, since it is over a year since your last period, we do have to make sure there is nothing abnormal in the lining of the uterus. That being said, it's a good question as far as how "to count"-I would just keep track of your bleeding for the next year, and do let your caregiver know. Hopefully for your sake, this will have been your last bleed.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

BAHealthierMEEE replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I am 45 years old and had my last period August 30, 2010. In May I went for my annual with my gyn and at the time said to him that I thought I was going to get a period. He did a transvaginal ultra sound, which has been a common practice with my visits for years now. There was nothing out of the norm. In June, I got a full blown period and nothing since. The hot flashes and mood swings are back and sometimes almost unbearable. HT is out of the question for me, because I feel the risks outway the benefits. Are there any helpful homeopathic or all natural remedies you recommend?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to BAHealthierMEEE's response:
Dear BAHealthierMEEE,
Alas, you sort of now have to "reset" the menopause clock-so you now need to go through next June without a period to say that you are fully menopausal. As far as the hot flashes, our participants know that I am a fan of trying soy and cohosh as the most likely non medical remedies to help. Do try to avoid known triggers; many women find red wine, hot coffee, spicy foods to be triggers. And keep in a cool environment as much of the time as you can. There are also non hormonal but prescription remedies available as well-so do keep up good communications with your health care provider.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Akela123 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I finished chemotherapy (for breast cancer) in Feb 2011. During chemo, in November 2010, I had a very long period that lasted about 26 days. After that I had symptoms of menopause. Since I am only 36 my oncologist told me that this was due to the chemo and could last 6 months to a year. In some cases though it is permanent. After enduring the hot flashes, night sweats, etc., I started having a period. The bleeding started off slow on Aug 30 but soon picked up to very heavy. I am now on day 25 of this "period" and it has only slowed down for 5 or 6 days. There have been many large clots as well. I am just wondering when I should be concerned? When the bleeding lasted so long before my periods stopped nobody seemed too worried about it since the chemo can throw your hormones out of whack. I just don't know how long to let this go on before I start to worry. I have been very moody and very tired which is normal for my regular periods.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to Akela123's response:
Dear Akela,
Sorry that you have had to deal with the breast cancer and chemo, and I hope from that point of view you will be fine now. What is going on with your period is that it sounds like your ovaries are basically waking up from the chemo: and you are getting whacky periods, just like young women get when they start their periods, because they haven't started ovulating correctly yet. I would suggest you check in with your gynecologist; (s)he will want to get a blood count, just to make sure you're not anemic, and I bet she'll want to get you on some progesterone (which you may take) to get your periods organized (progesterone is what you make when you ovulate, and you're not doing that regularly yet). My hunch is that you will probably start ovulating soon, and your periods will be better organized. Best of luck to you, and I hope everything goes well for you soon,
Mary Jane

dkw43 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Hi I'm almost 49 years old, I went into early menopause due to a particial hystorectomy 20 years ago. my last period was Dec 08. A year ago i decided (against my better judgement because i smoke) to go on Premarin because i was so miserable. Everything was fine at first and then over the last couple of months I,ve been bleeding on and off mostly spotting but a few times heavy. But I read that I should stop taking it if there was bleeding so I did 2 days ago and now I'm bleeding extremely heavy. Is it because I stopped or could there be something more?

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website