Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Six months no period
toy58 posted:
I am 52 yrs old. My last regular period was Oct. 2010.I was told by my gyn, after my perlvic exam in Nov. 2010, that I would not have any more periods. Well today i got my period with clots. Leading up to this day I had all of the symptoms for a period, sore breasts, cramps,bloating. When will this end! For six months nothing, now I have to start counting all over again.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to dkw43's response:
Dear DKW43 ,
I am confused-you mentioned a partial hysterectomy many years ago, but then mentioned getting periods-do you know what they removed during the surgery? Given that you were having periods, you clearly have some uterine tissue left. Were you just taking Premarin? or was it Premarin plus a progestin? If you have uterine tissue in place, you should be taking progestin with your Premarin. Yes, you could be bleeding from stopping the Premarin, but I would contact your health care provider to check in for advice, with the knowledge of exactly what surgery you had and medications you are on. And good luck with the smoking-hopefully you'll be able to stop that soon, too,
Mary Jane

CherokeeCher responded:
I just turned 51 this past Aug. and similar to you. I had not had a period since the first week of Dec. 2010. I was on birth control prior to that but quit taking it when I turned 50. My dr. kept me on it as it helped me with my fibroids. Just last week I started spotting. Light, then brownish and now red but not too heavy! Hopefully it is no cancer! It does not run in my family but I am concerned because I was on birth control for so many years. Although I heard that there is some benefits of being on birth control as it does protect from certain cancer like uterine and ovarian but not cervical.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to CherokeeCher's response:
Dear CherokeeCher,
Very unlikely this is cancer-since you had a menstrual period in December, 2010, you haven't gone a full year without a period yet. And indeed, you are correct in that birth control pills do reduce the risk of both ovarian and uterine cancer; they don't have much effect at all on cervical. So I would let your health care provider know about this bleeding, but it is very unlikely to be related to cancer (I like to know when my patients bleed like this, so I can keep a record for them in their chart-they might forget about this episode, if we don't record it for them)
Good luck,
Mary Jane

CherokeeCher replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Actually I took my last packet of birth control pills in Oct. and had a period a just before the end of Nov but it was very light and last about 5 days or so. I went the entire summer this year without a period so it has been about 11 months and I am hoping this spotting is due to menopause. How do I count as to when I am actually in menopause. I thought since I did not get a period for almost a year that I have begun menopause. Also, does a large fibroid cause bleeding even after menopause? I am just curious. I never had problems with my fibroid so never had them removed since I am nearing menopause.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to CherokeeCher's response:
Dear CherokeeCher,
Alas, whenever you get a bleeding episode, even if it's fairly light, it sort of resets that "menopause clock"-so you now have to count another full year from now, to say that you are fully menopausal. Until then, (with no period) you are technically still perimenopausal.
The good news about fibroids and menopause is that fibroids tend to shrink substantially with menopause (fibroids love estrogen; when there' s limited estrogen feeding them, they tend to shrink). And once you go through menopause, fibroids or not, you shouldn't have bleeding-so if you do have bleeding after that one year gap, do report it to your health care provider.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Lesvannel replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Hello, .
I just passed my one year without a period. Sept 2010-Sept.2011. My understanding is I don't need to worry about pregnancy anymore. However, I feel so tired and my stomach fills really full. I am 48 and a mom of a 5 year old. i just this month stopped protecting myself from pregnancy. This feeling cannot be connected with that could it. Is this just normal for menopause. Or is there something I can take.
Les

Healthylady123 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I just turned 52 and have not had a real period in about a year. I am very healthy, never experienced menopausal discomfort, no history of any sort of health issue. Out of nowhere I get my period (no symptoms or cramps) the flow is a wide range of almost none and rusty colored to moderately heavy a red colored. It's been like that for almost 2 weeks. So my question is - how long is too long? I don't feel bad at all - not tired, can still work out, etc. I don't really want to go to the gyn if I don't have to. So how many days is "abnormally long" ?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to Healthylady123's response:
Dear Healthylady123,
What you are describing is fairly common-I'm not sure from your note whether it is six months or a year from your last period. If it has been over a full year, you should just check in with your gynecologist; if it is just six months, it is highly unlikely to be anything but "perimenopausal" bleeding. What happens in perimenopause is that you stop ovulating regularly, but the lining of the uterus continues to accumulate, since you still have some estrogen on board. (and when you ovulate, you make progesterone). Eventually, the lining just starts to leak out-and so you can continue to bleed for a while. The easiest therapy is usually introducing some progesterone-that usually takes care of the bleeding.
So if it continues, you should just contact your gynecologist, who could get you some progesterone to organize the bleeding.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

kaydeelady replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Okay, looks like I have pretty much a different twist on the same scenarios as these other women....I am 53 and had what I hoped was my last period in July and then 2 weeks ago, BAM! So now two weeks later I am still bleeding and clotting, lower back pain, cramps and extreme fatigue. I am not really surprised about getting a period after only 3 months but for it to last this long with no signs of letting up concerns me. I know you will tell me to see my Doctor, but wanted to hear your opinion on this. Thanks

wench59 replied to kaydeelady's response:
I had my last period at 46. I'm now 52. After returning from hiking yesterday, I had vaginal bleeding. No clots and the bleeding stopped. Should I be concerned?

CherokeeCher replied to wench59's response:
Hi wench59 I would just get it checked out just to be sure. I also had a period back in Sept 2011. for about a week after not having one for a little over 10 months and then it stopped. So I am hoping I am already in menopause. But since your last period was when you were 46 and you are now 52 and then started bleeding. It is good to see your Gyno. just to have an exam. Maybe it is nothing but it is always good to check for sure. How long did it last and was it just light?

Native_Woman replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I too started my period after 1 years and after my doctor confirmed I was in menopause. I know he told me that I had fibroids and had wanted to do a D&C but my primary doctor has not yet cleared me for surgery. Anyway, I was wondering if flying will be a problem for me since I need to fly out of town on a business trip. I do plan on calling my doctor on Monday to schedule an appointment with him for when I return to town later in the week. Thanks.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to Native_Woman's response:
Dear Native_Woman,
Shouldn't be a problem -this is nothing that needs to be dealt with immediately-and flying shouldn't bring on any major issue-hope it will turn out to be nothing but the result of some more ovarian activity,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

carolep1957 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Hi, I was searching web looking for this type of info and came across above discussions. I am not sure I am posting this question correctly; if not, I apologize. I am 54, had gyn exam in February, including PAP and bloodwork, everything okay. Had mammo in April, okay. I get my "period" every now and then - unfortunately, I have not kept track of it, so I don't know how long ago it was, but it was probably 8-10 months ago. The past few days, tender breasts. Today, full blown period (bright red), cramping, lower back and leg pain (which was my "normal" symptoms during periods). I am Type 2 diabetic, have a stent in one of the arteries to my heart, am on Plavix and usual meds for cholesterol and blood pressure. However, the past 2-3 months, had pain in neck, went for MRI and have C-7 herniation. This lead to physical therapy and certain other drugs - Lyrica (only took a few days, did not like the possible side effects), Flexiril and Naproxen (relaxant and anti-inflammatory) and Percoset for pain (when needed). Could the meds cause me to start up again or is this just a "normal" thing to go through until I am fully menopausal?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to carolep1957's response:
Dear Carolep 1957,
Good questions-most likely the irregularity is part of the perimenopausal process; until you go that full year without a period, things can be pretty erratic. And until that time, sometimes your ovaries will be working and sometimes they don't. So it's probably the ovaries doing their "thing"-even without the confounding issues from the medical problems.
I hope you feel better soon-
Good luck
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website