Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    No Period for 278 days then boom!
    auntsho posted:
    I am a 52 year old woman, I am in menopause...I have not had a period in 278 days then got my period (really heavy) it has been 5 full days now...slowly...very slowly...the flow is reducing...but I still have it! Should I be concerned? I also was sick the week before with a bad cold & dr gave me antibiotics & steroids...could these drugs have had an effect on my system? What is next?
    Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hi auntsho,

    To be officially be in menopause, you have to have gone at least a year or 365 days without a period. So you may not totally be in menopause quite yet. This post Six months no period with a reply by Dr Minkin may be helpful to you.

    - Annie
    Susannah09 responded:
    Same thing happened to me. I also became ill and my Dr took some blood tests. I was Hypothyroid. After taking medicine for a short time, I got a period again on and off over 6 months and then it stopped. Also, my Gyn did a colposcopy to be on the save side. Everthing was fine. Make an appointment with your GYN and have some blood tests done.
    Roedel responded:
    I am 51 year old woman in menopause and just like you I had a very painful period. I went and had a sonogram and I have fibroid tumors caused from hormonal imbalance. Note I have been on HR treament for the last 6 months. The sonogram technichian suggest I have my uterus lining burned off. My friend had it done and it worked for her and she does not have to be on hormones. You might want to have a sonogram. I would like to hear from women that have had this procedure. I am very unhappy with my HR therapy and need an alternative.
    Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to Roedel's response:
    Dear Roedel,
    The procedure you are describing is called an endometrial ablation-and it is designed to destroy the lining of the uterus, so you won't get periods. We usually recommend it for women with heavy periods. This procedure will do nothing to your fibroids-neither making them better, or worse.
    The only question I would pose to you is how close are you to the end of periods? Of course, we don't know for sure-but having gone for 9 months without a period, and now at age 51, I would suspect you are close-so you may even want to go off of the hormonal therapy you are on, and see where you are.
    Another option would be to insert a progesterone coated IUD, called the Mirena-that is an office procedure, and can also be quite helpful for heavy uterine bleeding.
    But the good news is that when you are finally menopausal, your fibroids will most likely shrink, and pain will go away.
    So I think you do have some options-so talk to your gynecologist about the different choices.
    Good luck,
    Mary Jane

    Featuring Experts

    Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

    Helpful Tips

    Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
    Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    33 of 47 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website