Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
night sweats and the chills
thegirtle posted:
hi everyone,
i am going through a tough time with night sweats and even worse for me night chills, this is a terrible feeling of not been able to get warm no matter what , it lasts for a half hour or more and i also feel like my skin is crawling, was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem and is there any alternative meds i can take for it.
hope someone might have some answers,
the girtle

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear thegirtle,
You didn't mention a couple of bits of information-how old are you now, and what's going on with your periods? These symptoms certainly can be associated with menopause-if you want to try some alternative approaches, you might add some soy or soy extracts to your diet, and you might try some black cohosh, which are the likeliest alternative approaches to help. If they don't help, do speak with your health care provider to try to figure out if these symptoms are related to menopause, or some other condition,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

thegirtle replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
thank you for the reply! i am 48 and my periods are very irregular right now i haven't had one since april 4th, i used to be very regular.

thegirtle replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
forgot to mention that i am allergic to soy and i take medication for high blood preasure so was told not to take black cohosh.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to thegirtle's response:
Dear thegirtle,
Black cohosh shouldn't affect your blood pressure, or the medications. But if symptoms are significantly bothersome, some transdermal estrogens shouldn't raise your blood pressure.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

An_205776 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you for your response, Dr. Minkin. I've had the same symptoms. I'm 45 and my periods are suddenly regular, after being irregular since I first got them. I am allergic to soy as well, but I will try black cohosh and see if it helps.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website