Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Vivelle dot patch
akb0420 posted:
I am 39 years old and had a hysterectomy close to 10yrs ago. I still have one ovary and I have never taken used any type of hormone replacement. I started the vivelle dot 0.1mg patch last night. Afer applying the patch to my abdomen, i felt a little stinging where the patch was applied. This morning i moved the patch lower on my adbomen due to clothing. After I did that, I started feeling this warm stinging sensation on my upper body. I took the patch off and it gradually went away, with the area of the patch being the last place. Could 0.1mg be to strong for me? Can I cut the patch in half or in 4's? If so, how do I store what I havent used? Also, can I place the patch on my hip or bottom?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear akb0420,
Some women do get some skin irritation from patches; you can use anywhere on the abdomen, below the waist, and you can apply the patches to the buttocks area, as well. It is fine to cut the patch into halves or quarters; you can use the remainder of the patch the next time you change it (and vivelle you change twice a week). I presume that you were developing menopausal symptoms, which is why you were starting to use the patch. And you can adjust doses as you need to.
Hope you feel fine soon,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

akb0420 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Yes ma'am, I started having trouble sleeping, always hot and I was very irritable. I have read alot of post women have written discussing certain issues they are having due to menopause but havent seen any discussing irritabiltiy. Is that a sign of menopause? I'm not depressed or anything of that nature, but it seems here lately everything irritates me. Can you shed any light on that?

Thanks,
akb0420

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website