Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Bleeding and cramping 3 1/2 years into menopause
duchessmom posted:
Hi. I've been in menopause for 3 1/2 years -- very unremarkable, I was even (knock wood) spared hot flashes! I'm not taking any meds. Two days ago, I started vaginal bleeding, with cramping. They're both very very light -- a decade ago I would have just called this a typical light period. I've called my gynecologist and I'll be seeing her in 10 days, but (of course!) I'm getting concerned about what this might be. I looked through the archives here but couldn't find anything similar. Has anyone been through this too? Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Duchessmom,
One strange thought: perimenopause is not usually associated with painful bleeding. However, I have seen a few of my patients with some narrowing of their cervixes-and I actually had to mechanically stretch the cervix, with a "cervix stretcher" or dilator. (and their pain went away). The fancy term is called cervical stenosis. And it's not worrisome, just annoying-I am trusting it will be something that simple, and easy to take care of,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website