Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
More than one period a month.
An_205794 posted:
Hi I have a question. I am 47 years old and have been having symptoms of Menopause, but still having my period every month. I have been having mood swings and had to be treated with antidepressant- Prozac. I do get mild sweats, but not really full blown ones.

These two months I have been having more than one period a month. Here in the last month I have had 4 periods a month. Seems like every 14 days I will have a period. It is not painful, and it is not no more bleeding than a normal period. Sometimes I will spot and quit. I was just wanting to know if anyone else has had this problems and is it part of the symptoms of Menopause?

terri0219 responded:
I don't have an answer for you, but I am having the same problem. I'm 48 and have always had heavy periods, to the point that after several years I was VERY anemic.

I had a major surgery (not related to my cycle) in March and was told that I probably wouldn't have a period for a month or two even. Well that didn't happen. My period was 2 days late is all and since has been right on schedule, including having an extra period this month. I was a week in between. Just as heavy as the others if not more so. No cramps or PMS, just that my breasts have enlarged like they did when I was pregnant. Obviously it's hormonal related, but I was also curious if this could be menopause related. I've not had other menopause symptoms.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to terri0219's response:
Dear Terri0219,
This type of bleeding can be related to hormonal changes of the perimenopause. As we approach menopause, we don't ovulate as well as we used to; when you ovulate you make progesterone, which acts as the "policeman" or "lawnmower" of the uterus, controlling bleeding. Have you discussed this bleeding with your health care provider? You may be a good candidate for a birth control pill, Mirena IUD, or an ablation of the lining of your uterus. If you haven't skipped any periods, you're probably not super close to your final period, and you may be doing this for a while.
Good luck-hope you're taking some iron-
Good luck,
Mary Jane

hotstuffinct48 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Hi there,
I can relate to above. I am almost 49, have had very regular periods since forever, and have also had perimenopausal symptoms for at least several years.(maybe 5 now?) and then this past month (June) was one week late, then have had bleeding on and off for the past three and a half weeks. Very heavy way more clotting than usual, then nothing for hours or a full day. Then its back again.

This is driving me crazy! At first it was very light and would disappear for a day or so, it is getting progressively heavier and more often, almost daily now for several days, and only several times a day of heavy bleeding for just barely an hour, then it all but disappears. So bizarre. I'm hoping this means I'm getting toward the "end"? The inconvenience of it is really getting on my last nerve. I don't want to have to wear something all day every day "just in case".

When I'm finally in menopause with no period, I'm throwing a party!!!! Enough already. Had my 3rd and last child 13.5 yrs ago. Can't the ceasing of periods be a consolation prize?

I'm currently uninsured, so I can't run to the Dr. unless it's urgent. Is this "normal"? Any way to tell how long this almost- every- day period may last?? At what point do I get checked out. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks to anyone who can share insight.

annoyed by hanging in there.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to hotstuffinct48's response:
Dear hotstuffinct48,
Most likely these symptoms are related to perimenopause; however, in general with this kind of a bleeding pattern, I do like to sample (biopsy) the lining of the uterus, just to make sure there isn't anything weird in the lining. Alas, I don't think you sound really close to your last period-this type of bleeding is likely to go on for a bit. If you are in good health, you may well be a good candidate for a low dose birth control pill; there are many generics available, that would be reasonable. If you need good low cost care, I'd check in with the local Planned Parenthood; they do a lot more than just contraception.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

chngdmymnd replied to hotstuffinct48's response:
LOL......I agree...I knew when I was done having kids so I went to my doctor and asked to have everything removed because I didn't need it anymore. Of course they laughed and said no. I really did not understand that all. If I don't need it anymore why do I have to have it? They said along the lines I was being vain?? Are you serious?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to chngdmymnd's response:
Dear chngdmymind,
What would be great is if we could all just stop having periods, but keep the estrogen normal forever, and not have surgery!
Alas, no one has figured out how to do that. Unfortunately, all surgery has potential complications, so we wouldn't recommend it without a problem that needed to be fixed surgically. And most women do feel better having our estrogen around!
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website